z

Young Writers Society

A few questions before I start writing...

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:07 pm
View Likes
Uldin says...

Hello everyone!

I managed to gather good enough ideas for a novel, and I was wondering if you could help me out with the following questions:

1. Is it still 'possible' nowadays to write fantasy? I mean, I have been told several times that fantasy is a bloated market, and that people are jaded with it now. Is this true? If so, do you have tips for writing a fantasy novel that might make some change their minds about the genre?

2. Secondly, I was planning on having my story set in an Antiquity-style fantasy world, rather than the traditional medieval. Would this be well received as original, or instead be shunned as heretic?

Thanks for your help :)

Uldin

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 pm
Rosendorn says...

You're contradicting yourself.

"Fantasy as a bloated market" is directly combated by writing a nontraditional fantasy world. Browsing the shelves I've noticed an influx of fantasy, most of which have some sort of twist in the world. Either it's not a standard time period, urban fantasy, steampunk... the list goes on. Fantasy tends to be a genre as varied as the people who read it, and some of the most prolific readers I know read only that genre (sometimes with some sci fi thrown in).

Go for writing a fantasy in a nontraditional setting. Half the appeal of fantasy is finding something new (either a new twist on an old plot, or a brand new idea), both as a writer and a reader.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

'Hush, hush!' I whispered; 'people can have many cousins and of all sorts, Miss Cathy, without being any the worse for it; only they needn't keep their company, if they be disagreeable and bad.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights