z

Young Writers Society

A few questions before I start writing...

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:07 pm
View Likes
Uldin says...

Hello everyone!

I managed to gather good enough ideas for a novel, and I was wondering if you could help me out with the following questions:

1. Is it still 'possible' nowadays to write fantasy? I mean, I have been told several times that fantasy is a bloated market, and that people are jaded with it now. Is this true? If so, do you have tips for writing a fantasy novel that might make some change their minds about the genre?

2. Secondly, I was planning on having my story set in an Antiquity-style fantasy world, rather than the traditional medieval. Would this be well received as original, or instead be shunned as heretic?

Thanks for your help :)

Uldin

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 pm
Rosendorn says...

You're contradicting yourself.

"Fantasy as a bloated market" is directly combated by writing a nontraditional fantasy world. Browsing the shelves I've noticed an influx of fantasy, most of which have some sort of twist in the world. Either it's not a standard time period, urban fantasy, steampunk... the list goes on. Fantasy tends to be a genre as varied as the people who read it, and some of the most prolific readers I know read only that genre (sometimes with some sci fi thrown in).

Go for writing a fantasy in a nontraditional setting. Half the appeal of fantasy is finding something new (either a new twist on an old plot, or a brand new idea), both as a writer and a reader.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

In the winter months, snowstorms and rainfall in the Patagonian Ice Fields can drastically affect the landscape. Worsened by heavy winds, such storms can reduce visibility and lead to glacial calving, ice collapses, and avalanches. During these conditions, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian