z

Young Writers Society

Shooting Stars

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:10 pm
SakuraFallsSweetly♥ says...

Hey guys! I'm going to write this novel and I have decided I am going to call it shooting stars, just one problem - I have no idea what to write it about. I have a whole box full of writing scraps, characters etc. But I haven't thought of the story.

So what I was wondering was do you think I should write a paranormal/sci-fi kind of thing, or a regular teenage novel? You see, if I write it as a teen novel I also have no idea of a plot and I don't want to base it off of my own experiences because of abvious reasons. But if I make it a sci-fi (like witches or something along those lines) I am in danger of creating a very bad copy or cliché version of something that has already been done. So I don't know what to do. Any of you want to help me out? Like give me a little kick start or something :D

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
The only true failure, is when you give up. ♥

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:17 pm
View Likes
Leahweird says...

Pretty much anything ever written is in danger of becoming a bad copy of something else. It's true, paranomal and science fiction are particularly tricky genres, but that's what makes it fun. Storytelling is partially about building on what came before you. I say, throw in anything you think makes a good story. It's not like it has to be perfect the first time around.

Granted, I am a little biased toward speculative fiction. :)

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:52 pm
Napier says...

Grab your characters, see how they link.

How would they meet? Do they like each other? Hate each other? Are they related?
When you've found that out, outline a few basic stories based on the interactions between two or more of your characters. Either a first meeting, a simple conversation or even an epic battle!
Then think of some settings- a dark woods, someone's house, a huge space port. Anything that fits with the tone of your characters.

After a while of simply writing "stuff" you should be thinking of a basic story you could do.
Basically, keep writing and it'll come to you!
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:26 pm
Rosendorn says...

Don't worry about cliche the first time around. I have seen quite a few novelists, myself included, who start off with a really cliched idea and just rework it until it's something good.

Also, what BDL said. Just let the characters interact and follow anything you can think of about the story, linking it together. One outlining method I love is using index cards to keep track of everything, then looking at any gaps I have. Once that's done, I write more to fill in the blanks, or leave them blank to come up with more twists when I'm writing.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.
— J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan