z

Young Writers Society

Story idea help...

How should readers be informed of the news events?

The news
33%
Newspaper cuttings here and there
33%
Word of Mouth
33%
Other/none of the above (Please post and specify)
No votes

Total votes : 3

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:51 am
Blues says...

In my novel, there are lots of events that I want the reader to find out. Because my novel features terrorists, it needs news about terrorist attacks. My problem is that I don't want it to always seem as if the characters are constantly flicking on the news, but I want to inform them about the attacks (They become more and more significant as the story goes on). How should I do it? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:48 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

All of the above plus social networks like Twitter and Facebook. (If the story is set in modern times, which I believe it is?)

Information travels fast lately. You can find out practically anything from any source, because people start spreading information. What order they find this out is up to you, but I can say my news stories are almost exclusively gotten from facebook status updates, going to an online/paper newspaper and if it's big enough, tv.

Also, do keep in mind these characters will probably purposely seek out news the more often terrorist attacks hit. Especially if the attacks are nearby. Primarily, it'd be out of fear that the next attack is closer, or trying to figure out if they are a target in their area. After a certain point, you can probably justify constantly going to the news often.

But if online communication is prevalent, then seriously consider that as a major news source for anybody under 25.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:16 pm
View Likes
Lava says...

Text messages, if the friends are new-savvy. :P
Or... a feed stream on his phone.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:49 pm
Napier says...

What about those scrolly news things on the sides of buildings?
Like someone could look up and "the important landmark of X has been destroyed."
Just, you know, if they're out on the streets.
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:52 pm
View Likes
Blues says...

Never seen one, but I HAVE seen something similar above a road where it's like a digital billboard round the corner from my house.

Thanks BDL!

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince