z

Young Writers Society

Writing the last chapter before the story is finished?

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:41 pm
bexy89 says...

Anyone do this?

I wrote up a plot line for my story before I started it. I knew exactly how I wanted it to begin and how I wanted it to end and everything in between was flexible to tweaking every so often. I'm currently on chapter 17 (there'll eventually be around 40 chapters/90,000 words) but I felt really emotionally obliged to write the end chapter. I've just finished it and it's perfect (from my perspective anyway!) but has anyone else done this? Written the end before finishing the rest of the story? Or do you think it would hinder the way you tell the rest of the story?
"I'll be writing until I can't write anymore. It's a compulsion with me. I love writing." J.K.Rowling

My Website: www.beckitedford.com

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:32 pm
Rosendorn says...

Done this a few times. xD Especially when I couldn't focus on what I was currently writing for how pressing the ending was. But now I try to write chronological order to keep my interest up. When I write all the scenes I really want to write first, there's nothing left to keep me in the story.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

12 Reviews

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:49 pm
bexy89 says...

This is the first time I've done it, I was having one of those days where you get really emotionally caught up and I just knew if I wrote my last chapter then, it would be better than if I wrote it when I was feeling impartial, if that makes sense! Thankfully I love this story a little too much so hopefully writing the ending now won't make a difference :)
"I'll be writing until I can't write anymore. It's a compulsion with me. I love writing." J.K.Rowling

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:51 pm
Rosendorn says...

Problems arose more when I decided to write all the scenes I enjoyed, not just the ending. So you should be fine, lol
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

12 Reviews

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:54 pm
bexy89 says...

Ah I see lol fair enough

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:32 am
Kale says...

I've managed to keep at a project for a good half a decade even though the ending was one of the first things I wrote.

I'd say, if it keeps you motivated to finish your project (which the ending does in my case), then there's nothing wrong with writing things out of order.

At least, I should hope there's nothing wrong with writing things out of order. I do it all the time. >.>
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:50 pm
Napier says...

I think it's important to know your ending before you start.
How far you go with that idea is up to you, so if that means working from the end, and even writing backwards all the way through to the start, then that's fine if it works ^^
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:21 pm
Wolfdancer95 says...

No, it will not hinder your writing and will blend in as well as you can write :)

Usually when I write a chapter before I come to it I have to change it, because in the several paragraphs it took to get to it my plot had gone into a completly different direction. But I do usually write a basic outline for the ending, not more then that. Famously, JK Rowling wrote the ending of Harry Potter 7 first.
'I am the monster in your head.'~ Breaking Benjamin.
"Little voice I thought I got ride of? I have some advice for you: SHUT. UP."~ WolfDancer.

All the turtles are related.
— Jack Hanna