z

Young Writers Society

First Person narrative/describing other POV

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 am
View Likes
bexy89 says...

Ok, so I usually write in a third person narrative because I find it easier when describing different settings from different perspectives. But I am writing my current story in first person. I have had quite a lot of positive reviews from people abou it, including the subject matter (the opening chapter is about September 11th, the protagonist loses her husband who works in one of the twin towers) There is a phonecall between them before the tower collapses but someone has told me that it isn't realistic enough, that the husband's setting isn't described enough to make it seem real. That I haven't elaborated on him trying to escape, what was going on in there etc. But how do I describe his surroundings when I am writing from the perspective of someone else? Does that make sense? Obviously I want my story to be as realistic as possible but how can I tell the reader about a setting that my protagonist can't see?

Ideas on a postcard!
"I'll be writing until I can't write anymore. It's a compulsion with me. I love writing." J.K.Rowling

My Website: www.beckitedford.com

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:03 pm
Rosendorn says...

If you're wanting to add in description through the phone call, have her pick up on background noise. Because she's not seeing it, you can't directly describe the situation around him. But if you use auditory clues, which she would probably be paying very close attention to, then it should give some idea of the situation. Also, voice descriptions are your friend. You can fit more clues to the situation in there.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:44 pm
bexy89 says...

Thank you :) that seems the best way to do it, I'll go and do some editing
"I'll be writing until I can't write anymore. It's a compulsion with me. I love writing." J.K.Rowling

My Website: www.beckitedford.com

You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote