z

Young Writers Society

Is This Story Idea Interesting?

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:25 am
jojo123 says...

Hi There, I came up with this idea recently and would like it if you could tell me if it is fairly interesting and feel free to offer any help, insight or idea if you feel like it, thanks!

The story will begin with the MC falling from a zeppelin like form of transport into to sea below and washing up in the shore as he watches the hulking plane crash land in the distance with smoke trailing its path.

His goal is to escape and find a compass that points in the direction of his best friend who was kidnapped days prior, the story then follows the MC as he crosses the forbidden land and the ruins of civilizations past in order to save his friend overcoming trails and tribulations in the face of fate.

He is also accompanied by an orb of light whose purpose is yet unknown.

There you go, thanks for reading!

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:33 am
View Likes
Rock n' Roll Queen says...

I'm not really into science fiction, but even I would read this. It sounds very interesting and I really want to know more. Let me know when you go futher with it, because I want to check it out. I love the idea about the orb of light that follows the MC. Nothing better than an orb of light with a purpose unknown to keep a reader hooked.Great idea! :D
"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" -Lao-Tzu

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:10 pm
Kale says...

It does sound interesting, but there are a couple of questions you'd need to address early on.

Why is he falling out of zeppelin-like vehicle? Did he jump? If so, why? Was he pushed? Again, why, though this why can be revealed a little later on in the story.

You'll need to mention that the vehicle is crashing close to shore and the size of the body of water your MC is falling into. My first impression was that he was falling into the middle of an ocean, so the reference to shore resulted in a double-take.

How does he know where the compass is relative to his current location? Or if he doesn't know, how is he planning on finding out?

Why does the compass point to his friend? Does your MC know or just believe his friend is still alive? Why?

Why is the land forbidden? Also, why is your MC traveling across this forbidden land? This can be revealed throughout the course of the story, but it's a good idea to have the why in mind before you start.

Why is he lugging along an orb with no known purpose? It sounds like your forbidden lands are pretty desolate, so unless there are people there that he could perhaps trade the orb to for supplies and such, or if there are other circumstances compelling him to keep the orb, it doesn't make much sense to bring something he can't eat, drink, or use to hunt or make shelter with along with him.

If you can address these things and all the questions that arise from them, your story will be off to a pretty solid start.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:36 am
HereBeMonsters says...

Hmm, I agree with the previous post, so long as all the questions posed in your idea are going to be answered, then it sounds good.
Regarding the idea of the protagonist's falling/jumping out of an airship, perhaps whatever happened to it to make it crash could have come from the nearby land, maybe giving them another motivation to investigate and explore it. I don't know, you might have thought out why it crashed already, s'just a thought! :D
Also, is the compass solely designed to seek out the protagonist's friend , or is it (Pirates of the Caribbean-esque) able to show the direction of whatever they want?

Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything
— Plato