z

Young Writers Society

What do you think of my new idea?

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:46 pm
annaswanson48 says...

What if, after years of living in your cute, quaint town, you found out, it was all a lie?

After finding a bizarre photo in her friend's attic, Emma's world spirals out of control. Everyone, all these years, has been lying to everyone. Brad lied to Kimberly, Kimberly lied to Jimmy, and Jimmy lied to Emma and when Emma gets pick pocketed by a ridiculously hot guy, everything falls into place. They were covering up a series of murders. Everyone was covering it up. . .and the murders were only committed because those people weren't perfect.
The deception. The scandals. The hatred. The killers.

So that's basically the synopsis/summary/back cover blurb. What do you think?
Oh, and if you think that the fourth sentence is confusing, let me explain it. . . Basically Brad and Kimberly are the popular kids in the school and they killed two people, Jimmy is their little nerd that they tote around who does computer and planning stuff for them.
Kimberly, Brad, and Jimmy = :evil:
Holliday, Miri, and mystery man = :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:11 am
Rosendorn says...

It sounds a lot like Pretty Little Liars, only with more true protagonists. (Pretty Little Liars focusing on the four girls who were the ones who lived a perfect life, but went to extreme ends to maintain it, the "antagonist" being somebody blackmailing them)

My biggest problem with this is, why were the murders a huge revelation? If the people were in the MC's world, then she should have noticed them gone. If it's a quiet town, two missing people would be noticed and reported on the news, even if no body was found.

The premise of everything being all a lie seems to overpromise, as well. I was expecting a reality-warping illusion that meant the MC was the only real life person in a town that had some magic workings behind it (but do keep in mind I have a fantasy bent in reading and writing). Past that, it'd be rather difficult to believe that "everybody" is covering up this issue, if the characters are high school students with their only claim to fame being being the popular kids.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:47 pm
annaswanson48 says...

Well, in the book it's supposed be that these people disappeared over a very long period of time (as in these people have been disappearing since 1980). Holliday reads a newspaper article about this man who has been confirmed dead, and then she finds a picture of him in her best friend's house.Then she starts to investigate. There are some people in the town that aren't covering anything up because they just moved there. Thanks for the feedback! Oh, and I love the PLL books.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:02 pm
Rosendorn says...

People disappearing since the 80s+ high school kids murdering= other people murdering?

That's the equation in my head, anyway. It's showing layers to your plot I hope are there, because it would be your whole premise wrapped up and actually big enough to probably promise what the back of the book does.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Time is not your best friend - unless you use it wisely.
— Marco Pierre White