31%
Valentine
13%

Total votes : 16

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:27 pm
Talulahbelle says...

I'm having trouble with giving my novel a name. I'm in the midst of the editting process (third run!) and I'm feeling like it'll be time to send it out soon. But I need to give it a darn name! Any suggestions or advice?
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:44 pm
Rosendorn says...

One of the best articles I've read on title theory is this one, which gives different types of titles and why you'd use them.

My opinion is that titles should hint at the contents of the book while leaving something missing. When looking at a title, I like to find something that will make people wonder "why is it called this?" and pick up the book to find out. I've read many a book summery for just the title.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 pm
RacheDrache says...

Well, I am... not particularly romantic. So I chose October, because it was the title that didn't suggest a chick lit. And thus my selection was biased.

But, the other titles would possibly restrict the size of your audience, while October would cast the net wider. At least for the time being. Plus, one-word titles are pithy.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:12 pm
XxMattxX says...

Advice: Try to stay away from overused title schemes. It's an automatic turn-off.

Whenever anything ( be it a book, or a band, or a blah blah blah) has a title that starts with-
"THE (insertverbhere)", it just sounds lame and cheesy.
The Happening.<---ghey.
The Ending. <---ghey.
The Chang(ing).<---ghey.
The Death..<---ghey.

Well, I am... not particularly romantic. So I chose October, because it was the title that didn't suggest a chick lit. And thus my selection was biased.

If I was absolutely forced to choose one, October would also be my choice. Another issue that I see with titles is that they seem too sappy. If it sounds like a chick flick or a lovey-dovey book, I drop it. Girly titles tick me off. They're just lame beyond belief.

I would suggest that you use a title that gives off a detail or thesis or theme without revealing the plot of the story. If it's as affective as it should be, then the actual length of the title doesn't matter.
examples of past success...
-The Lord of the Rings
-The Boy in the striped Pajamas
-The Lightning Thief
-The Giver
-A Separate Peace
-The Hunger Games

Just make sure that the words run together properly, and there you have you title. It can be a vital phrase said by a character, a book title withing the story, a place in the story, the quest in the story, of just the name of the Casanova.

As long as it makes sense toward the middle of the story, grabs attention positively, and flows, it's good.
Solvalery/GeeLyria Fans
Link

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:27 am
Blues says...

Hmm... what's your story about?
I like October and The Fall, but the latter is the name of a CHERUB book, which is quite a popular series.

One or two word titles are best I think... they intrigue me and they don't reveal much. That's my opinion :)

Mac

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:11 pm
Carlito says...

I think I could cast my vote better if I knew the plot of your novel and the genre.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson