z

Young Writers Society

What genre is this?

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:43 pm
Blues says...

I've been writing my novel since May (nearly done!) but I can't seem to categorize it. It seems like everything I write can't fit into a genre!

It's about--wait I found a short summary of it that was somewhere in my hard drive...

My novel is about how the Egyptian President attempts to regain power by attempting to effectively make Egypt a mess. He plans to starve the Tourism industry by kidnapping divers and snorkellers in the Red Sea Resort of Sharm El Sheikh and torturing them, sending the videos to Media companies around the world (while messing everything else up along the way!)

It follows the story of Liam Hunt and his girlfriend Lauren who were kidnapped and their friends attempts to raise enough money for a ransom to release them before they are killed in 96 hours, while attempting to capture the vice president's nephew and grand-nephew (if you can say that!) on his most wanted list, for charges of "treason".

The majority of the novel is from the viewpoint of the teens (Liam Hunt, Lauren, the grand nephew etc) and the occasional chapter from the ex-president's point of view. It does contain some elements of thriller, such as when the nephew attempts to escape etc.

The reason I'm not sure if it would be considered a thriller is because at first, the protagonists are trying to discover who is kidnapping the divers (the reader knows from somewhere near the beginning).

By reading that^^ what genre(s) would you think it'd fit in?

Thanks in advance!

Mac

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:55 pm
Rosendorn says...

I'd put it in Action/Adventure. I find that genre encompasses enough to fit the story.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Yah...
It's a thriller.
An Action/Adventure Thriller
(With elements of mystery at the begining, but that doesn't count. ;)
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:27 pm
Blues says...

Now that you mention it, those genres fit pretty well with my story! Thanks guys (and girls)! :)

Mac

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand