z

Young Writers Society

*headwall, headwall headwall...* "Angst, angst, angst..."

Reviews: 0
Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:45 pm
missalaineus says...

What do you do about it? You goofed. You got a bad review. You criticized your own work to the point where your emotions spiralled into a deep dark pit of writer's angst, and now you're hiding from your books, casting them aside like an embarrassing memory to catch dust. Yes, we've all been there.

The thing is, writer's angst doesn't have to be a bad thing! It can be a great tool to become a better writer, if you get out of that ditch and start doing something about it!

What's your story? If you're angsting, tell why. If you're recovered, we'd love to hear your success story. You might find that others have been in just the same situation as you!
I'm the type of person that gives such good advise, people frame my quotes on a wall and don't follow them.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:34 pm
Apple says...

Hmmm, I guess you can say I half-recovered. I managed to finish this +90,000 word novel that I had been working on for a few months now. I stopped for a while when school began thinking that it would be best if I left it for awhile. (On a side note: that is the best thing you can do guys, it really does help.) When I returned to it on one of my weekends I flipped. Like really flipped! I couldn't believe that I could write such dribble. So I climbed onto my high horse and started editting. So there you go, I guess I did recover but continue reading and you'll see why it is only half.

I showed it to my mother after three-overs, not including the prologue and she told me what I usually rant to people on this site: the first chapter didn't give an insight to the plot in any kind of way. In fact, she thought it was a love story. If she had read the prologue she may have gotten that it wasn't although she doesn't usually read it, and neither do I, actually unless I feel really compelled to. So, it got me thinking that if someone didn't read the prologue and went straight to the first chapter they wouldn't get it at all. At this point I sunk back into the ditch.

After weeks of trying to get the first chapter to work (and this meant fixing the next three chapters which were worked into the first chapter), I had had enough. I walked away and started on a new project. So as you can see, I only half recovered from it, not fully. I still have the story but I am not game enough to start on it again. I am trying with all my might not to make the same mistake with this story that I am writing now although it is giving me a run for my life, I can tell you. As slippery as a seal but I am up for it! :D
I spy!

We are great at fearing the wrong things.
— Hank Green