z

Young Writers Society

Dear Morgan.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:11 pm
MJones10 says...

My best friend is basically my sister. Our families are very close. Our parents are best friends, my sister and her sister are the same age and are best friends, and of course we are the same age and are best friends as well. My best friend, Morgan, was diagnosed with cancer June 11, 2008. I've been their with her since day one.

I'm on vacation with my family and hers as well. The other night her mom let me in on a big secret that her dad and sister doesn't even know. Morgan's cancer was said to be benign and nonaggressive, but after her latest surgery which led us to believe that it was removed, benign, and slow growing even if they had missed a part of the tumor, turns out they were lying to us. They have been keeping a secret that the cancer is malignant and very aggressive. They removed as much as they could visibly see but it was likely that it would grow back and attack. The next time she gets sick will be the last. They gave her 2-5 years. Keep in mind, we are only 17.

I want to write a book that will tell everyone the story of the diagnoses, and the struggles and good times we've faced up until this point and then every time we go something fun, or something happens worth writing about I can start it out like a letter to her.

I would like to send out a group message through email allowing you to critic it instead of posting it on here. I was also wondering if any of you had some tips on how to organize my story to where it's easier to write or if you think it would be cooler to write in "flashbacks" instead of just telling the story in chronological order. Whatever inputs you have would be super appreciated. If you would be so helpful as to either post your emails or send them through a message that would be great! thank you!

Reviews: 0
Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:42 am
jrauthorintraining says...

Oh my goodness I am so sorry. I can't imagine how hard it must be. You two are both so young?! I will pray for the both of you <3 :)

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:54 pm
WritersUnleashed says...

I am so sorry for you. I have a grandmother diagnosed with ovarian cancer and she just got that thing with the church that heals your sins for the last time (I forgot the name exactly - Rite of "???"). Needless to say, it was very hard. I can not imagine what it must be like for somebody at 17. Feel free to message me anything you need to.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:19 pm
Carlito says...

I'm really sorry and keep both you and your friend in my prayers!

As for your novel, I think it's a Great idea. Especially since you thought one thing all along and now you've learned it's something entirely different. What jerky doctors! Wow. I think it kind of depends on what you want the mood of your story to be and how you want to unveil everything.

Option one: Flashbacks. In this case, I'm guessing you would start about now, just finding out that her cancer is really bad. I think the flashbacks would need to be in chronological order to eliminate confusion. If you went this route, it would be overall very depressing because the reader knows that the outcome of the story would be. Kind of like "My Sister's Keeper" if you've read that.

Option two: Chronological. Since you have such a large time frame here, you would have to do things carefully so the story didn't drag on but the reader understood that a lot of time is passing. It would be good in that the reader would really get to know both girls and come to love their friendship and the news that she is going to die, would be heartbreaking. But then again, you could probably get a similar effect with the first option.

Whatever you think is going to be the easiest for you to write and tell the story the way you want it, that's the method you should go with.

Let me know if you need anything at all! :)

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

The author of my life has some ambitious ideas for me to become a super villain
— FireEyes