z

Young Writers Society

Writer's block. Help?

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:24 pm
View Likes
polinkacreations says...

So basically, I'm out of ideas. The words I'm writing don't look or sound right. All my ideas seem unoriginal and dull. I have no idea how to cope:( Do you guys occasionally have this, too? And how do you people deal with it? Any thoughts, pleeeeease I don't know what to do :(
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:48 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

It sounds like you're just forcing the words and ideas to come out before they're ready. If you're forcing out the words and ideas, then the fun of writing's gone and if writing isn't fun there's no need to force it, right?

What I do in those cases is just let writing be for awhile. I think about what'd be cool in a story, what I'd love to read/write. Be it a character, a plot, a magic system, a story arc, anything. I then think about these cool things in all my spare time. I keep doing that until I have an idea that is keeping me up at night. By that point, the idea wants to get out so badly that it flows without much of a care for quality or originality. That can be sorted out later when I'm looking at my story later, hopefully when I still love it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 am
View Likes
ultraviolet says...

Also, somethings I do are: I listen to a bunch of different songs, trying to find one that speaks to me, inspires me, shows me a character, or plot, or scene, or basically anything that can translate into a story. Another thing is, I look up photos from Google images, or Deviantart, or some similar place. They can be anything - people, things, places - as long as they transmit something; something like a song might give me. This is especially helpful for getting characters; it's always a good feeling to find a story behind the emotion the person in the photo's giving.

There are plenty of other things to do that can help - things similar to what I've mentioned, and things not. There are a ton of threads around the site dealing with writer's block that you might want to go looking for. The best thing to remember is, we all get writer's block, and yeah it's horrible, but eventually we all get out of it. Sometimes you just have to take a break and think about things, or maybe just forget about them. Whatever works for you.

Sorry if I sound jumbled; I kind of feel jumbled at the moment. But hopefully I helped (a little?).

Anyway, best of luck, ultraviolet <3
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:49 pm
View Likes
Tomboy044 says...

OK, listen up.
I was once given some very useful advice by an (ex) friend about how to overcome writer's block that she got told by the English teacher she fancied (Seriously, don't even ask...)
1) Open up a word document or get out a pen and paper (whatever you are more comfortable with).
2) Just type/write whatever come to mind. eg. hajglsnqufhbolfkrjwbfkebfsnfer
3) Soon you'll find words come to mind. eg. hfgjakghslfnalfjuvenilemfjabfksbescapedforevernfjanfahoweverhesaw
4)Before you realise you've made a sentence which you then find you can follow with another and another and another...
Good luck!
Happy writing! x
Never give up on your dreams. Dreams make us passionate and life without passion is pointless. x

The only person I know for certain I am better than is the person I used to be.
— CandyWizard