z

Young Writers Society

Music and writing

Reviews: 0
Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:42 pm
LiamDoyle says...

Being new here, I thought I would start off by asking you all what music you like to listen to while writing or before writing in order to get in "the zone". Music is probably the most important thing for me in order to get inspired. Depending on what I'm writing I guess, but usually when writing horror I listen to eerie black metal, ambient or DSBM music. Odd as it is, listening to the Japanese noise artist Merzbow also helps a lot, even though you could hardly classify Merzbow as music, more "audio ugliness".

I'm in the middle of writing a very occult horror type short and while doing so I listen to a lot of Mayhem, Darkthrone and Gorgoroth. I find that type of music helps build tension while writing and thus you can create a whole lot of tension on your page.

What tunes get you in a creative mood?

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:24 pm
jrauthorintraining says...

I do the same thing! I try to match the mood of my story with the music when writing the climax. The story i'm writing right now is called "Escape to Fate" and its drama / adventure / romance / realistic fiction! So there are a lot of moods in the story. I have listened to classical. I am interested in the "Curtis Institute of Music" A college orchestra. Listening to them during the times in my story when something calming is happening, basically when there is no action maybe some dialog. I have listened to screamo for fights between characters like "Blood on the Dance floor" and "Brokencyde" My main character goes through a lot and the music is always helpful with writing! Lastly I know this may sound very strange but my best friend Isabella listens to the "Super Mario Galaxy Orchestra" You know the video game? Well the music in the background you always hear is an orchestra, the "SUper Mario Galaxy Orchestra" to be exact. They have many different pieces! Some are very soft and some are very loud and obnoxious. She even got me into listening to them when I write! :D

Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:32 pm
LiamDoyle says...

It's a great way of getting in the mood to write alright. I wouldn't be a huge fan of Blood On The Dance Floor or Brokencyde, but I can see where you are coming from when you say they help tune up the band for some of your battle scenes. I'm not sure where you stand with regards to metal music, but if the likes of Brokencyde influence your action sequences, perhaps you might want to give something heavier a chance, to get the adrenaline pumping; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1QlG61QfWg .

I've never actually listened to the Super Mario Galaxy Orchestra, but I can understand why it would be good for writing, most video game music has a real ambience to it.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:42 pm
jrauthorintraining says...

Thanks for the link! It will really help!!! And yes i know its strange to listen to "The Super Mario Galaxy Orchestra" but I assure you it works for us :D :D :D :D :D !

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:21 pm
romance otaku says...

I usually listen to Fear.fm or the Excision mixes (dubstep). Sometimes I like to throw in some pop punk rock (Screeching Weasel, Face to Face, Alkaline Trio, etc.), too. I actually pick a genre to match the mood for a writing, then listen to that while I write.
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

Reviews: 1
Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:16 am
ZeroKelvin says...

What I listen to while writing depends on the mood. I often prefer to listen to film or video game soundtracks while writing, as they are geared primarily toward setting a mood or atmosphere. For instance, I listen to the Halo Reach soundtrack while writing sci-fi, because the tones range from introspective and reflective to punchy and violent, and the quality is markedly better than the music a lot of popular bands create at the moment.
When writing horror I listen to the themes from Pet Sematary [sic], Twin Peaks, and the Exorcist.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he in turn become a monster...
...And if you stare for too long into an abyss then the abyss stares back into you."
- Friederich Nietschze.

Phn'glui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'Lyeh Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!
Ia Cthulhu! Ia Dagon!

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:54 am
Day says...

All you need in life. 1090p please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoVjSeb4aYA
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:58 am
RoarShark says...

I have a playlist set for writing, and one for editing. I try to make the editing music more lighthearted because it keeps me alert. I also find like so many others that having music that matches the mood you are trying to set helps a lot.

Reviews: 4
Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:26 am
monolith says...

want to write something awfully depressive, dark and full of dementia? then listen to Veil, a burzum-esque one man suicidal black metal band. best song "suicide winds"

Life’s disappointments are harder to take if you don’t know any swear words.
— Bill Watterson