z

Young Writers Society

An Award-winning Author Loves My Story? 8D [Question, also]

Should/Can I make a whole new thread to resubmit my old short story that's been edited?

Yes, make a new thread. It's fine.
100%
No, just use the old one, you selfish twit.
No votes
No, it's against the rules.
No votes

Total votes : 3

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:39 am
silentpages says...

My, my, I'm not sure I knew this forum was here. o.O

Anyway, basically going to copy/paste my blog post here:

Okay, so I just got back from a writer's conference this afternoon. Four days, TONS of information. More about that here, at my for-serious blog which is going to be majorly revamped soon (after attending a helpful workshop concerning social media! See how useful this conference was?).

This was the main thing I wanted to talk about here, though:

A cool thing was that we each had the opportunity to have consultations with some of the (published!) speakers there. I got some great suggestions for revising one of my novels, and some really positive feedback on Empty Sky (linkage. Edits probably coming soon). One of them (Thank you, Shelly Beach!) even suggested a magazine that she thought I might try to submit to. Sadly, from the looks of the website, they aren't accepting submissions and haven't been since November/December of 2010. *cries in a corner* Still, she's going to email me a list she's got of places that teens can submit to, so, yay! And I think it's a good sign that - after a little polishing - I might be ready to try and get something in a magazine or something... or something. *eyes repetition of vague words.*

So yeah, it was pretty encouraging. :) And I'm definitely going to be working on that short story a bit, polishing it up... Feed back is welcome, hint hint. XD

Keep writing, yo'.

EDIT, after remembering what I titled this post:

Oh, yeah. XD 'Really positive feedback' consisted of "I love love love this" at certain lines and still making suggestions for small improvements, suggesting the magazine, saying that she thought I was probably one of the best writers present (I was also undoubtedly the youngest), apparently mentioning the story to her friend without my knowledge, encouraging me to read the first page at Open Mic and whacking me with a rolled up paper when she and her friend missed that session... She's a funny lady. XD

So yeah, after a few minor edits, I'll be emailing the rest of that story to both her and her friend (her publicist, radio producer friend. 8] ) and hopefully they'll both have some more good feedback for me.

Even if nothing really comes of it, it's still exciting. >.< And it was a great experience...

So, yeah. Exciting things. :)

I emailed it to them now, and hopefully when I return from camp in a week I'll have some feedback on it from people already kind of established in the business...

I have made some edits, and I'm really proud of this story, writing wise. I think there are probably still a few kinks to be worked out, but... This was written in 2010, and I didn't do a whole lot to it before I showed her. The first time I posted, it made it onto the Featured Works list. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback on it, and that's before I made a few changes.

So, I guess this is also a 'question' thread. I'd like to see what people think of the new version, but the old one is... well, old. And highly commented on, since it was featured and everything. So I'm thinking that if I copy/paste the new version into the old thread, no one's going to notice it.

Should I make a whole new thread to resubmit the more recent version? Am I even allowed to do that?

Anyway. Yeah. I'm excited. :)
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:50 pm
Rosendorn says...

Making a new thread when you're worried about a shiny new version not getting attention on the old thread is just fine. :) Especially if the version is really old. Only time the mods start looking at things strangely is when both versions are still on the same page and only have minor changes.

Good luck in getting the story submitted! :D
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:34 pm
View Likes
silentpages says...

Alright, thanks. ^^ Figured that it was probably okay, but I didn't want to be a...

*narrows eyes* Rule breaker.

Dun dun DUUUUUUUN...

I'll be posting the newer version momentarily. ^^
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables