z

Young Writers Society

multiple POV

Reviews: 1
Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:12 pm
View Likes
mvb627 says...

So, I feel like I'm only good at writing in first person, but I want to get into all of my characters heads (Most of my novels have more then one Protagonist). Should I just write in each of their POVs, or will it be horrable?
Kirby is my friend!

(o.o) <----- Raccoon is watching you.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:46 am
Rosendorn says...

You can have multiple PoVs in first person, but you have to have a very distinct narrative voice for each of them, and usually another few "tells" to the reader the PoV has changed. Combining a distinct voice with some other tell that the PoV has changed is the best way to make sure the reader can tell the PoVs apart, which would be your main worry.

I'd say go for it, but really make sure you get a different way of narrating each character so readers don't feel like all the narrators are the same person.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:54 pm
mvb627 says...

Okay, would a tell be starting a new chapter when the POV changes????
Kirby is my friend!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:05 pm
Rosendorn says...

Yep. That'd be the most common tell. Also, saying the situation immediately would be another.

But your main thing is the narration style. Each first person narrator should use different speaking patterns, language, and have a generally different take on what's going on. Your goal is to be able to have them all describe the same event and each PoV sees it differently.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:12 pm
mvb627 says...

yeah, should be easy.
Kirby is my friend!

Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:16 am
Meeks says...

I don't think it will be horrible. I think it might actually be a very interesting story indeed. My advice to you would be, instead of constantly switching back and forth between POV's, make each chapter dedicated to a certain character and their thoughts. That would probably be the easiest, most understandable way of writing it. To me at least. I say give it a try, you never know until you try!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:37 am
Griffinkeeper says...

My advice: experiment with it. If it doesn't work, you should be able to pick up on it pretty quick. If it does, then put it on YWS just to be sure.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451