z

Young Writers Society

1st person and third person in the same story

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:33 am
cannoncomplex says...

Hey guys, I am currently writing a story to experiment a certain style where the 1st and 3rd person are both included.

The purpose of it is to write a piece where the 1st and 3rd person has its own semi-independent narrative but coincides at the end. Additionally, the 1st person is the flashback while the 3rd person is the present time of the story.

Now, I've reached the point of the draft were the idea of of using a single person throughout could cause problems on how the whole story is made. And I would like to know your comments about it.

Thank You

P.S.

The use of the double persona is not the only 'weird' aspect of it as well because the story include surreal 'satire' imagery and a humanoid character.

This is for the sake of experimenting with different writing styles.
Lain Iwakura: If you're not remembered, then you never existed.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:46 pm
Rosendorn says...

If you're experimenting, then go for it! There are no rules in writing so long as people like what you're doing. Personally, I like the idea of there being different persons to differentiate parts of the story. I get so confused with different tenses to show the parts, primarily because I have a hard time seeing different tenses. xD

You could try writing the story out two ways: one with all one person, the other with two persons. See which one you like better after awhile, and stick with it. Who knows? You might end up with two really good stories, as the structure might cause plot differences.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
— Allen Ginsburg