z

Young Writers Society

Should I change ideas?

Reviews: 0
Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:15 am
ilessthan3you says...

I started writing one work, and got 83 pages into it. But now I'm realizing I HATE the way I've set the plot up. I love the idea, but I did NOT execute it well. I'm thinking of switching to a different idea I had then maybe re-writing the first one. The first one WAS the first one I've tried to actually write, and it is a bit of a difficult plot so I think maybe I should have held it off.

Anyway, this is the plot I have so far. I also have a few more but, sadly, this is the most developed and, at the moment, intriguing one. All I know so far is that it's set in the future, and technology has taken away the need for almost all of the jobs, except for leadership positions. Everything would be shared, so money becomes basically obsolete. No one knows what to do with themselves, so there are obesity problems and general unhappiness. The families that were previously poorer know to appreciate everything more and still keep their happiness/sanity, while the rich sit back and enjoy everything, but have a void that they can't quite place. The plot would follow stories of people from different social classes and their problems.

Like I said, it's not much yet. But that's the basics.

Also, I joined awhile ago but never really became active...how is the forum?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:41 pm
Rosendorn says...

The first thing to look at is whether or not you can merge anything from the two ideas together. Sometimes, if you've hit writer's block, the best thing to do is merge a few ideas and see where that takes you.

But if you really love the idea but hate how it's set up, don't be afraid to completely change it. I've gone through about 8 total plot overhauls and 20 rewrites of over 30k in six years. The story just keeps getting better the more I overhaul it.

Yeah, I do get a bit upset whenever I have to scrap an idea I thought would work, and it can be hard to find motivation again. When that happens I snag a few friends and talk about the story to get my passion back, take a break, or just find something new I can have fun with in the story that I really want to explore and write out.

My two cents.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

When one is highly alert to language, then nearly everything begs to be a poem.
— James Tate