z

Young Writers Society

I can never finish anything!

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Sun May 01, 2011 5:54 am
ilyah says...

So, at the moment I was writing something I was really loving, even the characters I loved, but now suddenly I feel like writing something else, a fantasy-world story. How can I get back to the first story, or what should I do?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun May 01, 2011 1:27 pm
Rosendorn says...

What's worked for me is writing down the details of the new idea so I don't forget it (sometimes taking a month-long break from the original story) then going right back to the original story. Then it's just the mental focus to stick to one story.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Mon May 02, 2011 6:40 am
ilyah says...

Good idea! I lack the motivation to just keep writing, so hopefully if I push myself I can do it :)

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon May 02, 2011 6:09 pm
Carlito says...

You shouldn't have to limit yourself to just one story. I have a folder on my computer of "Active" stories, as in the stories that I want to work on and finish. Last year I worked on one called "To Make Music for You" for almost the entire school year and came really close to finishing but then I just couldn't for some reason. The spark left and I just don't really feel like writing it now. I want to finish and I know relatively how it will end but can't bring myself to do it.
So instead of trying to force it or worry about it too much, I got the inspiration to work on a different story that is completely different. I've been working on it for a lot of this school year and I'm about half done I think. Sometimes I take a break from it and either don't write anything or work on small projects.
I think switching up what you work on is healthy. You don't want to get sick of your story or your characters because you try to write about them so much. Don't force anything. Save everything because you'll never know when you want to come back to a story or when a little spark of inspiration will compel you to do something with a story. Write what you feel like writing when you feel like writing. :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Mon May 02, 2011 8:05 pm
fireheartedkaratepup says...

Eh.

For me, I let my brain jump around from story to story.

Sometimes you need to make yourself sit down and write, but that usually doesn't produce work that's as good as the stuff you'll write when you're inspired about something.

Just be thinking about your stories. Tolkien took years to write Lord of the Rings--in fact, I think he wanted quit. (And he did. For several years.)

The point is to keep writing.So long as you keep your imagination busy, you'll generally be able to come up with something.

If all else fails, ask for help. I'm sure people here would be happy to to provide ideas for plot points, etc.
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Sun May 08, 2011 7:44 am
WritersUnleashed says...

I like to play drill sergeant with myself to make me write. Scratch that. Sometimes he makes you do push ups.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue May 10, 2011 7:10 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Right now you have all the time in the world to do whatever you want. Be creative, write whatever you want to, and enjoy the process. Start weaving your new ideas into your original story, see how it turns out.

You don't have to create something entirely new when you have a burst of inspiration, and in the long run, learning to combine these ideas is what makes for much more interesting stories. It will also help you to avoid running out of steam half way through a novel, because learning to tie your every day inspirations and ideas into your story will keep it exciting for you and your reader.
We were born to be amazing.

Reviews: 1
Thu May 12, 2011 2:10 am
Cramerx says...

ilyah wrote:So, at the moment I was writing something I was really loving, even the characters I loved, but now suddenly I feel like writing something else, a fantasy-world story. How can I get back to the first story, or what should I do?

Well, For you it could be different but for me: I am writing about 25 stories that are at least 2,000 words a piece while one of them are over 40,000. Every time I think of a new idea then I start a new story for it......as long as I have a plot line idea but if I don't have plot line for a idea just yet then I just write down the idea then I think of a plot line for that idea later. Plus I have a goal that I have to write at least 1,000 words per night.
Men are born without limits but learn about them throughout their years.

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf