z

Young Writers Society

Name Central

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:08 pm
View Likes
flossybunny says...

I find names come fairly natural to me, I do some writing or think leave it for a couple of days and normally it'll just hit me and I'll think 'Yes! Of course that's their name!"
However, if in doubt I tend to go for sounds that I like or that I think match the character. When coming up for a name for one of my first characters my first thought was 'Cleo' but felt it was too feminine. I considered going for just 'Leo' but felt it might be a bit bland for the setting. In the end I named him Cleon, which his friends shorten to Cle.
One of my 'villains' is named Simon; ordinary but I reckoned it suited his traditional, Christian, English background. I also liked the idea of making a generally evil character more realistic.
I'm also not against using nicknames consistently, especially if they are only ever addressed by other characters. I normally base the nickname around one of the character's general traits e.g Hicc got his name from the fact that he constantly hiccups. It was only a few months ago while doing a more detailed character analysis that I realized his real name is Henry.
Meep, Meep, Meep. The pink carrot never falls far from the tree...

Random avatar

Reviews: 25
Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:46 am
IlhamAlKhatib says...

Nice !!
but do people get alarmed when they hear voices inside their heads ?!!

The air of now is taking me to a road I don't know...
A road I've never been before...
Just feel something saying to me he's somewhere out there...
Longing... you're far a way... missing you... Looking for you !!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:10 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

The "hearing voices in head" is a pretty common side effect for being a writer. So, no.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:16 pm
Cole says...

I don't care for "meaningful" or "symbolic" names. Perhaps they can be put to good use in short stories, but in novels? I think they're a little ridiculous.

In my current novel "In Secret Places" (and, really in all of my novel-length pieces), I purposely try to avoid naming a character merely because the name is symbolic. If it happens to be symbolic, that's a plus, but I don't look for them. I think it's unrealistic.

My primary characters are Mary, Noel, Virgil, Kainan, Serabeth "Sera", Lucan, Vesuvius, Logan, Willah, Leo, Isaac "Ike".

They're a little 'strange' and that's merely an element of the story.

I could have chosen to name Noel (a blind man) "Eli" after the blind priest in the Bible. I could have named Kainan (who is in despair due to the pain he endured in a prison) "Brennan" which means "tear, sorrow". I could have called Isaac (a fisherman) "Peter", disciple and fisherman in the Bible.

These suggestions seem too "unnatural", though, especially for a novel that's trying to be realistic.

There are some instances when symbolic names are great, like in allegories. However, in novels attempting to be a window to a real-life world, powerful symbolic names seem out of place.
Last edited by Cole on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:21 pm
EloquentDragon says...

I just pick em' if they sound good. (And are pronounceable, *ahem)

Although I do have one or two named for their characteristics, and a few more named for traditional/historical reference. Naming characters after the meanings of their names never appealed to me... too many people in real life are named for that, and no one cares anyways.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

Reviews: 0
Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:10 pm
OrionX says...

Question...

In the English language some words are written with an "F" while others use "PH". Both letters are pronounced the same. A good example is the word "Phoenix" and "Fenix" (the bird of fire). Same word, same sound, different writing. It's a culture thing I guess.

For my story I'm going to use the name "Ralf" which is pronounced "Ralph". I choose for "Ralf" because it's a abbreviation of a real name and I'd like to keep it linked to that person. I however noticed that some people can't pronounce "Ralf" correctly. So now I'm in a dilemma: use "Ralf" and hope readers pronounce it right (as "Ralph"), or write "Ralph" and lose the link to the real name.

Ralf or Ralph :?:

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:07 pm
Rosendorn says...

It depends on how important that link is. If it's absolutely plot critical/you have a testy character who gets Attached to names, you might want to stick with "Ralf". But, if you would rather have the majority of people pronounce the name correctly, a phonics switch out like that shouldn't be too detrimental to a smaller plot point.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:34 pm
Demeter says...

I actually had to stop and think about the possible difference in the pronunciation. xD I automatically pronounce "Ralf" like "Ralph", mainly because "Ralf" is closer to the spelling we'd use in Finland, where I'm from. Also because in the Sound of Music there is a Rolf (Rolfe?), and in my head that's the same thing.

It sounds you're keen on keeping the link, and then it's more important than making sure people pronounce it right. After all, it's going to be read and seen.

Also, I'm pretty sure J. K. Rowling didn't think pronunciation problems very important when she named Hermione. ;)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:17 am
methrirr123 says...

I totally just make up my names. Take for example the list of character names that I have used and continue to use in my stories. Maybe see if you can guess their personalities.

There's the Dwarves, all of whom are sort of related, and all love to fight.

Kollek Kollarsson.
Kingrek Necrobane.
Korgrim Necrobane.
Kingore Necrobane.
Kildred Kollarsson.
Klik Kindel.
Kyle Kindel.

There's the two elves, half brothers and polar oppisites.
Kiroy Methrirr,
Erillian Methrirr,
(Yes, that's how I chose my username.)

And there are my humans.
Erodan Lukaar.
Rovaalian Suraad.
Uuraalian Koraad.
Jokaal Koraad.

go on, pick one or more and guess their personalities.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:22 am
BenFranks says...

All my characters are given nicknames that relate to their personalities. It allows me to remember what they're like but also suits my humour writing style.

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:46 pm
Pinktoes says...

Usually I just go with whatever pops into my head so I can base a story and really develop the character, then maybe I'll be thinking about it and decide the characters true name. I love making up names, it helps me to write the story! :D

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Me needs a name for a female pianist. I'm thinking something clear and serene and innocent. Any ideas?
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:29 pm
Clarity says...

AlfredSymon wrote:Me needs a name for a female pianist. I'm thinking something clear and serene and innocent. Any ideas?

Belle, Evelina, Elena, Serena, Julia, Juliet, Sophia.
They all have a nice meaning to them, and seem to match your description!
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:48 pm
Rydia says...

Clara, Beth, Odette, Lucille, Florence, Jasmine?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:07 am
wordsandwishes says...

What about Evangeline, or Meredith?

"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."
— Neil Armstrong