z

Young Writers Society

Name Central

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:58 am
Bugslake says...

I'm having problems trying to name my male character. He is an assassin, almost like a mobster assassin. My main character is forced to marry him because her family is poor, but all she knows about him the day she marries him is that he's hot.

He is really kind to Main character and does truly care for her and love her. But she becomes his partner in crime and learns that he is merciless to anyone that he has to kill. And I'm personally having a hard time naming him.

Obviously his name has to be really masculine, but have a sort of kindness to it. Both of his personalities must be said in one name.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:01 am
Rosendorn says...

Any particular reason you're looking for a meaningful name? Did he pick the name himself, or would his parents have picked it?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:36 am
Bugslake says...

He picked it himself, so as not to shame his family.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:12 am
Rosendorn says...

Ah, kay. So he was specifically looking for a name to match himself.

What types of names are in the world, already? That can really impact what type of name he'd pick. Any particular ethnicity or region we should stick to?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:33 pm
Zontafer says...

Hey there!
I'm looking for a name for my female characters, perhaps my male character too.
The time period is around late Middle Age, perhaps 1200. Genre is fantasy.

Look: Dark brown hair, slightly curly. Her eyes..Blue. She's neither tall nor short, normal length. Light skin colour.
Personality: Not too shy, helps those in need and can be impatient. Likes to be alone, and independent.

Look: Brown hair, a little dark, but not too dark. Tall and muscular, not any thick muscular. Light, but slightly brown skin with brown eyes. Has a square shaped face.
Personality: Not shy, but still calm, oblivious, patient about things.

If you think you got too little information, just ask :)
Thanks for reading.

- Zontafer
"If you're going through hell, keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:00 pm
Cole says...

What name origin would you prefer? English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, German, French, etc.?

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:25 pm
Zontafer says...

Cole wrote:What name origin would you prefer? English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, German, French, etc.?

If you're talking to me; I'd like English please :) But if you know some other names that you think sound good, bring them on.
"If you're going through hell, keep going."
- Winston Churchill

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:09 am
View Likes
WillowPaw1 says...

Zontafer wrote:Hey there!
I'm looking for a name for my female characters, perhaps my male character too.
The time period is around late Middle Age, perhaps 1200. Genre is fantasy.

Look: Dark brown hair, slightly curly. Her eyes..Blue. She's neither tall nor short, normal length. Light skin colour.
Personality: Not too shy, helps those in need and can be impatient. Likes to be alone, and independent.

Look: Brown hair, a little dark, but not too dark. Tall and muscular, not any thick muscular. Light, but slightly brown skin with brown eyes. Has a square shaped face.
Personality: Not shy, but still calm, oblivious, patient about things.

If you think you got too little information, just ask :)
Thanks for reading.

- Zontafer

For the girl, a name that starts with "E" simply sticks in my mind. Emaline? Eliana?
Names that don't start with E: Amber, Liana, Ariella, Zinnia, Sage. If it'a fantasy, though, you may want to make up a unique name. Emelle... Exla, Cariana (probably real names but I just kind of made them up)

For the boy, maybe... Jasher? Or something that starts with a "P"... Preston, etc
Names that don't start with P: Larson, Orion (like the constellation).

I'm not the best at male names. :P

Anyways, hope I helped!
Well.

Hello there.

Want a review? Feel free to request one in my topic:
WillowPaw's Reviews

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:19 am
CesareBorgia says...

Hmmm. This place is quite resourceful, I'll turn to it some time when I'm in writer's block.
Cesare
Proud Writer of the Week judge

862 Reviews

Reviews: 862
Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:45 pm
Morrigan says...

A great resource for fantasy names is the Dungeons and Dragons Elvish name chart.

Here is the chart.

If you do want to follow the rules of the chart instead of picking and choosing, here is a nice online dice roller.

(on the chart site, if you see a number after a "d", it indicates which type of die to use. I.e. d10 is a ten sided die, and a d6 is a six sided die.)
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat May 17, 2014 1:34 pm
MadamKroft says...

I have been constructing a list of names that I will probably use in my upcoming work. Am I able to share the names I come up with on here to inspire other writers? (I'm still new to the website and haven't fully gotten the hang of it!)
"Grammar is a skill that no person has mastered, but let those who have more knowledge provide assistance. If comprehension of your work is suffering, do not be afraid to ask for help in the aspect of how to present your details." -Madam Kroft

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu May 22, 2014 3:12 pm
Spotswood says...

I need help coming up with the name of a spaceship for a space opera audio drama script I am currently writing.

It takes place in 2800, the human Imperium currently trying to find its place in the galaxy. There is a ship, a new prototype Intrepid-class corvette. It's fast, somewhat smallish (compared to the really large battleships at least), and responsible for going on stealth, recon, infiltration, and hunting operations.

I was originally thinking about calling it the "Norway", but it may sound too similar to "Normandy", which is the ship on Mass Effect. I want it to be named after a location, but it has to sound catchy (I don't want to call it the Italy or the France or something). I was thinking "Jamestown" or "Yorktown", but it sounds too much like a battleship name.

Can I get some ideas?
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri May 23, 2014 1:29 am
MadamKroft says...

@Spotswood

-The Lavenza
-Eton
-The Maybelline

...I tried! :')
"Grammar is a skill that no person has mastered, but let those who have more knowledge provide assistance. If comprehension of your work is suffering, do not be afraid to ask for help in the aspect of how to present your details." -Madam Kroft

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed May 28, 2014 6:49 pm
Spotswood says...

Here are some naming tips for anyone who is interested in trying to come up with consistant names for his or her characters.

You can get away with basically any name, in theory, although I would suggest avoiding boring names like John Smith or Bob Turner unless, of course, they are supposed to be intentionally boring characters in a comical sense.

Also never have two major characters whose names start with the same letter. Again, unless if they are supposed to be a comedic duo, never name one character Jake and another major one Jack. It can get confusing. Something you can NEVER get away with though is naming one character William and another one Wilfred. Also you must stay consistant in terms of how you adress the character in your narrative. For instance if the captain of the ship's name is Horatio Aubrey, don't adress him as "the captain" in one sentence, "Horatio" in another, "and Aubrey" in the next. It can be confusing and annoying. Other characters can call him this in context within dialogue, just as I, in real life, would call my father "Dad" my mother would call him "honey" and his friends would call him "Jeff". An example would be in "A Game of Thrones". Martin always adresses Eddard Stark as "Eddard", but everyone just calls him Ned in the dialogue. In the narrative, he is always called Eddard, but he is reffered to as both in the dialogue.

Also, when naming your major characters try to make sure each name has different syllables, as it makes it more easy to follow. Even if you have two J names, it makes it easy to remember if one character's name is Jake and the other one's is Jackson. Better yet, if you have another character named Stan and another named Jackson (which is still a bit better than having two J names), you would not want to adress Stan as Stanley or Stanford, as the syllables are the same as in Jackson. Initially it could subconciously confuse the reader.

Again, as long as you are consistant.

Note: None of this counts if you are writing a Russian Novel.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed May 28, 2014 7:13 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Good advice, @Spotswood! XD Russia? O.o That's funny.
100% autistic

“Writing fiction is the act of weaving a series of lies to arrive at a greater truth.”
— Khalid Hosseini, Author