No
33%

Total votes : 3

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:47 am
View Likes
Amissa says...

According to the description, this is where I write about my goals and progress. No one here knows me yet, since I just joined yesterday, but I joined up for a reason. I want to seriously practice my writing, and I wanted to join a community of writers with which to write with. Thus, in the pursuit of writing perfection, I have developed certain goals. In order to take these goals seriously and not slack off like a loser, I place these goals on the forums for all to see and hold me accountable.

Goal number 1: Write a little something every day. It doesn't have to be full stories or chapters, just a little something. Exceptions will, of course, be made on days when I have to cope with disasters or emergencies (those unfortunately happen with increasing frequency).

Goal number 2: Write at least one review on YWS every day. Reviews will help me rack up points and reading the works that others have written will hopefully bring me inspiration.

Goal number 3: Publish something on YWS once a week. Every Sunday (I hope), I will make a selection from my veritable library of works saved on my computer to post online. These works will be laid at the mercy of my fellow writers to read and critique. I'll try to choose my best ones so that no one has to suffer.

I reserve the right to edit, add, and subtract goals. I may go easier on myself if I end up with some pressing responsibility (like a full-time job), but for the most part, I have nothing better to do. This is only my first week on YWS, so I guess I'll find out how well my goals are doing after a few weeks or a month.

If anyone has any advice or encouragement, I would love to hear it. I've been out of practice in the creative writing department for a long time. It's an activity that makes me feel happier and more fulfilled than any other. It would be nice if I can make a profit from it one day.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:26 pm
Kale says...

Well, as far as advice goes, I have just one tidbit:

Continue to write because you enjoy writing, and not because you feel like you must. If you write because you feel like you must, you risk losing that enjoyment writing brings you, and when you lose that, you will lose all will to write. So, if you ever reach that point, just stop, otherwise you will only grow to resent yourself for and your own writing. And then you'll stop writing anyways, only there will be no plans to ever go back and take it up again.

So basically, taking an occasional break from writing is fine and sometimes necessary. In the long run, it will help keep writing an enjoyable task rather than transform it into a resentful chore.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:01 am
Amissa says...

Yes, I think I see what you mean now, Kyllorac. I've already had a couple days where writing just isn't what I want to do, though I have done well with the second goal so far. I'll try to put something up in the morning since my power was out today thanks to a huge thunderstorm.

I'm the kind of person that works best with deadlines and goals, that's why I wrote so well in school. I agree with what you're saying, and I will have to be more relaxed with goal number one in the future. I'll leave it as it is for now though. It's still something nice to aim for, but I don't need to stress about it if I need to take some time off. Thanks for the advice, and I'll try to take care not to burn myself out.

The important thing is never to stop questioning.
— Albert Einstein