z

Young Writers Society

Modern Mythology! Huzzah!

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:25 am
Talulahbelle says...

So, I just read the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series where *Semi-Spoiler!* the characters are children of the Greek Gods - Zeus, Athena, Ares and such - and I think that subject is so interesting! Its one of those times where I wished I'd thought it up first, but alas, I didn't. But I would still love to play around with mythology in modern times. Do you guys have any ideas as how to do it with, like, totally plagerizing the author of Percy Jackson? How can I mix it up? Make it original?
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:49 pm
Rosendorn says...

First, you can go for a different mythology. Greek is done a lot, as is Norse. You could try Celtic or an Asian mythos.

You can also make sure you don't take exactly the same angle— try not to use direct decedents or reincarnations. Both are amazingly overused.

My best suggestion is to let the idea sit. For a long time. Then you'll start splitting the original inspiration from your own idea. You'll also see if the plot bunny is enough to stick and get you excited long-term.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

There’s always a story. It’s all stories, really. The sun coming up every day is a story. Everything’s got a story in it. Change the story, change the world.
— Terry Pratchett