z

Young Writers Society

How to keep up with deadlines?

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:21 am
RainWanderer says...

I have been missing my a lot of my own deadlines reccently. Especially today's deadline, which I had planned for over 2 weeks to write a short story, and yet when the time cames, I only had 1/3 finished. I feel disappointed in my self and start doubting my own drive to writing. Maybe I need some kind of discipline and time management training.

Although result of missing dead lines are not that bad, like the story about Chrismas that I finished in the end of January, as I have more time to work on them, I feel that if I can't stick to my own deadlines, I can't never push my self to write a whole book.
Who am I? Just a wanderer, traveling from real life to dreams.

“Writing a book is a very lonely business. You are totally cut off from the rest of the world, submerged in your obsessions and memories.” - Mario Vargas Llosa

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:22 pm
Rosendorn says...

I often don't set deadlines for my writing, primarily because I don't try and control my thought process behind stories. I like getting to know the characters slowly, so I can tell the story from their perspective to the best of my abilities. Some characters spring into my head, while others take a long time to develop. I don't rush characters, so I don't give myself deadlines.

I've also met writers who get a set amount of words a day, every day, and I've tried the method myself. It works for getting stories done but I tend not to enjoy the process as much. Enjoyment is a big part of writing for me, so getting on a strict timeline just for the sake of doing that (and mild stress) just doesn't work.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:01 pm
View Likes
.:Elf:. says...

I try and set deadlines for myself too. I mean, I participate in NaNoWriMo, it's very deadline oriented, setting smaller goals for myself should be easy... right?
What ends up happening for a lot of people is because it's self set, there's not much a risk. You can cheat and no one knows, you dont lose anything, but you aren't really gaining much either.
Trying to make yourself more accountable by just telling a few people so that you have that guilt may work (so long as the people actually care, otherwise... doesn't work so well), slapping yourself upside the head and getting some more self motivation too, lol.
Then again, like Rosie says, sometimes you just cant put a clock on the creative process. Even if it would be really nice...

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:22 am
View Likes
WritersUnleashed says...

I believe the only dedlines for writing should be for nanowrimo (unless your a signed author ofcourse). Writing should be a fun thing, not a job (unless, again, it is your job).

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:11 am
Dreamwalker says...

When it comes to writing, I never set deadlines. It has to come within before I can find myself writing it. The more stressed I am, the worse my writing gets, so I tend to not set myself up like that.

Contests on the other hand... well I end up writing the short story like a day or two before its do xD. Procrastination really isn't a good thing but even I don't know how to combat it very well. Darn.

~The.Dreamwalker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

When Larry King retires in 120 years John Mulaney should replace him.
— The Internet