z

Young Writers Society

Two conflicts or am I just being repetitive?

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:03 pm
romance otaku says...

I'm going to keep this short.

My main character goes crazy halfway in the book. He's trying to find the person who killed his father.

What is the best option? I know #1 is a little repeptive, but the emtions at the end may help the story. But it could hurt it. Opinions please?

Option 1 (original):

He finds a person who works with his father's killer first and tries to get info out of them about his father's killer. My main character gets the information, but accedentaly kills the person in the process. He is hit with guilt and doubt until he finds and tries to kill his father's killer.

Option 2:

Just have the main character figure out where his father's killer is via the internet. Everyone around him tells my main character not to go and confront his enemy, but he does it anyway.
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 pm
Rosendorn says...

I think it's all how you write out each conflict.

On paper/in the plotting stages, stories tend to look and feel a different way than they actually pan out. This makes plotting major conflicts in detail somewhat dangerous, because you can lock yourself into a plotline that ends up not fitting the story after fifteen pages.

I'd start writing it and see how the characters want to go; personally I think a hybrid of online searching, finding the person and hurting/killing them, followed by continued hunt for the killer is a slightly stronger (and more flexible) plot. But that's just me. Your characters might end up wanting to do something totally different, depending on their current situation (age, time period, income class) and what's the easiest for them at the start.

Two cents.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson