z

Young Writers Society

Post-Novel-Depression

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:32 pm
ShadowPrincess16 says...

So I just finished writing the first draft of my novel, and, even though I know I have at least 7 more drafts before it is fully done, the fact that I'm not going to be in the first "this-is-so-freakin'-amazing" draft is so sad to me. I guess that's because I'm always overcome with joy during the first draft of a novel. Especially this one. This particular novel has taken me 4 and a half years to complete. It is like my baby, a part of me. Do any of you guys go through this, or is it just me?
ShadowPrincess16
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:36 am
MKate says...

Wow. Yes. Exactly. And I thought I was all alone in my despair! After the first draft of a novel that I know will need so much polishing and changing and chopping and cutting and mutilating- ooooh, I just shudder!

I don't want to hack away at my story with a cleaver disguised as the 'delete' button. When I've finished a first draft, I like to fool myself and live in a dream that tells me it's fantastic and wonderful and perfect just the way it is. And then after I indulge in that state of mind for a few weeks, I discover something- it is. My story is wonderful and beautiful just the way it is... to me. I, who truly know the characters themselves, not just the words I've printed down on the page in relation to them. But that's just it, I want the audience to know the characters too- and when it seems like I'll have to use a whole jar of polish in order for it to truly shine, it does get rather depressing.

After the initial joy of really having completed such a monumental thing as a first draft has worn down some, say, between a period of two-to-three weeks so that any imperfections in plot or general grammar might stick out like a sore thumb- I prepare myself a big plate of my favorite comfort food and sit down at my computer to 'review'.

It's a grueling task, I know, but if you wait long enough so that the story seems new and fresh again when you review, I find it can help with your enthusiasm (or lack of) for revising. And when you've been so dedicated as to spend four and a half years creating a first draft, (a sort of dedication for a story that I'm ashamed to say I can only imagine) I can only say that what little you may have to fix I'm sure you'll do in such a careful and loving way that I can't see how you can go wrong. Just remember you're nurturing your characters, not chopping them up, and your story (and your enthusiasm for it) should survive :D

Best of luck,

~Mel
"Don't say 'the old lady screamed'- bring her on and let her scream." -Mark Twain

Writing is like traveling- you never know what's going to happen until you get there.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:05 pm
ShadowPrincess16 says...

Wow it's great to know that I'm not the only one that goes through this! Thanks!
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:45 pm
Tenyo says...

I recently finished my own novel, and I found that there is still much joy in it. It's kind of like being able to relive a memory. The story is written, but now is the chance to go back and explore those things that may have been missed. You don't need to think about the plot any more, so go back to an exciting part and relive it in more detail. Think about how bright the lights were, or how fast this characters heart was beating. Now that you're over the first draft you can freeze each moment and explore it, until it is as vivid as if you were actually living it - and then you pick out the best parts and feed them to your reader.

Even after the first draft there is a lot to find out about your characters, and a lot of wonders in the world you've made, so don't be disenchanted just because you know the ending, you are the author, you still have the chance to rewrite history, and things don't always turn out the same way twice.
We were born to be amazing.

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:12 am
ShadowKnight155 says...

When I finish or anticipate anything I get nostalgic and anxious. I then proceed to throw up or sit around groaning with a twisted stomach. The thought of something long and great being over kills me a little on the inside.
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:53 am
Dreamwalker says...

I was really depressed after the completion of my first draft of my first novel. I actually cried xD.

But, when you put yourself out there again and start formulating ideas, you'll fall in love with writing again. Its hard for a writer who can finish a novel to not want to write another. But, I guess I'm biased xD. I don't think I could ever really stop writing.

Well, keep trying and write those drafts as much as you need!
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

The first draft is a trip to the amusement park. The next drafts are returning there as a safety inspector.
— SunsetTree