z

Young Writers Society

Teen Drama: Gag. Want To Switch It Up...

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:11 pm
Cspr says...

Yes. So I want to get back into script writing. I did it for a bit, but then I stopped. Novel writing has always been my main interest, but I want to practice for Script Frenzy.

But I have other reasons, too. (See below.)

I'm not sure if many people care about this, but there has been a big fall in the quality of television programs for young adults. If not that, there haven't been any leaps. While most teenagers are too busy with schoolwork and such to watch television, there would be a niche for a show directed towards them. Why? No parent wants their kid watching MTV. It's not the MTV of their youth; it's not about bands or music. It's trash.
Disney Channel, never really a teen channel, is also trash. It's petty, the children are whiny, and in general it's just annoying. The sets are horrible, the acting is worse, and, in general, all the shows are meant to teach the kids something but they fail miserably. The characters are cliche and it's boring. Plus, the plot lines keep repeating. (I know this because my sister gets the remote way too much.)

With the Skins (the American variant) show, I've decided I'm just going to watch British television (and I'm talking adult shows, because even their teen dramas stink).

I want shows that show real issues. Not kids whining about drugs and stuff. We all know about that, us teens. We suffer through programs bent on telling us not to do it, parents telling us not to do it, and stuff. Keep piling on message after message on TV and it becomes monotone.
Monotone is pointless, if you weren't aware.

I'd like to write a script for a show that would potentially have a teen cast, better sets, etc. Thusly, I have some difficulties--mostly on picking topics.
I don't want monotone, I want to be edgy. No whiny emo children here who don't have a reason to be whiny emo children. No foster children. No pregnant girls as main characters (honestly, this is the stupidest plot line ever--you show them surviving or killing the baby and it dulls down the message to begin with).
I want something sort of like Breakfast Club and Dead Poets Society. Something with a point, but not a point that's being jabbed down your throat.

This is where you come in. You tell me what you want to see. Yes, I know that isn't the best way to start something, as it won't be my ideas, but I've never gone to public school. I don't know what the big issues are. (Most of said issues seem petty to me, so sorry if I offend anyone because I think that.) But...real issues.
Yeah. I don't know.

Once again, I'll just end with some questions on what you think of film and other stuff:

Complaints Against Hollywood (Feel Free To Vent):
Things You Like About Film:
Most Overused and Cliche Plot Point:
What Character Stereotype You Hate:
What Sort of Character You'd Want:
What Issues You'd Like Brought Up:
Should Political and Religious Arguments Be Shown in Teen Shows, in Your Opinion?
Are You Bored With High School Teen Dramas?
If You Said Yes To Above, What Do You Want?
Favorite Genre:
Would You Watch a Historical Teen Show?

Yeah. I might add more questions. But, basically, I want another Flight 29 Down. Plot holes the size of Texas and a jerky cameraman, but heck if that wasn't awesome when I was younger (I watched LOST when I was twelve, don't judge the show on the fact I was a tween). Nice mixed cast, interesting enough acting, non-petty-issues (they were surviving on an island! so different!), nice set (Hawaii), and D.J. MacHale (need I say more?).
Good show. Left out some stuff, but it was clean, but interesting. It didn't push anything. It wasn't crass.

Oh, and I want fewer snobby rich kids in shows and stupid bullies. I detest them. Same with guys in green shirts (don't ask), but that's a face-to-face thing...

Final thought: if anyone wants a contest that involves best non-dramatic teen drama television scripts (or shorts), or would like to help on my venture to write awesome teen dramas (I will probably fail)--just ask. I'm busy, but I'm always up for new stuff. A person to help me with the mechanics of television writing would be awesome, too. I have a basic idea, but I don't know the extras and what looks 'good'.

Yeah.

I hope this was in the right place (and I pray everyone will forgive me for my constant bashing of modern American television).

Comments would be nice, too. :)
My SPD senses are tingling.

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:13 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

I'm not sure if many people care about this, but there has been a big fall in the quality of television programs for young adults.

I totally agree! My sister watches Disney Channel (gag) and my brother watches Cartoon Network (perverted much?) and I just can't find much that I like. I think Glee's pretty cool, but I can't think of any other TV shows I can honestly watch all the time. It just seems like we need something that's more relateable, minus the bad teen actors and hopelessly annoying morals. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have morals...but really, how many times can we be told the same things? We need something completely ground-breaking...something real and deeper, based on things that really go on in our lives. Tell me if you come up with any actual scripts, because I'd totally like to take a look.
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

Maybe we're all just complex human beings with skewed perceptions of each other.
— Ventomology