z

Young Writers Society

So I'm Writing a Fantasy Novel...

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:53 pm
Cspr says...

So, I haven't tried fantasy out in eons and I want to again.
Last time, I came up with one of the biggest cliche pieces ever. It involved twins, mentors, scary smoke beasts, and a lot of witches and warlocks being killed. Yeah, the twins were a witch and warlock. Luckily, neither of the mentors were enigmatic, one was just ornery and the other was an uncertain person raised wrong and no dragon-riding was involved. And, yeah, no orc-lookalikes. Just snake-men. Yeah.
There were a few good things about it, but basically, as I'm trying again, I want something even better. You know what I mean.

As I'm a perfectionist, I would rather like some input on this matter. I know I should probably write an outline and do character sketches (two things I almost never do, oddly enough--since I can feel it stifling my creativity, the first more than the latter [well, mostly the first]).

So, here's what I'd like from you:

What you'd like to see in the young adult fantasy genre this year.

Yes, that's about all. I have a gazillion other questions (see below for a few), but this is the main one I need answered. Because, frankly, I'm also a people-pleaser.

And I don't want to always write in cliches.

Now, here's what I have planned:

Evil Northern Empire versus Small, Backwards Empire. North has all the brains and all the willpower, but its people are emotionless freaks. The Small, Backwards Empire is much too, well backwards and not very tech savvy, but its people have personality, even if they spend most of it on hating each other--and, well, their soldiers can see sense. It's not just numbers and figures to them.
If this reminds you of the (American Civil War) or current War on Ideals, excuse me; that was completely intended.

It also involves a heroine, a shape-shifter (not of the "Twilight" variant--that would give me nightmares to think I came but with such horror), and a dragon always on the edge of things, protecting the heroine for some reason.

Does that sound decent?

Other Questions:

What do you think their quest should be about? I'm thinking it's mostly about the emotional and learning part, but they have to have been searching for something in the first place--a material object, or something they need; like freedom. Especially freedom for women, something two of the countries don't have yet. (Not a feminist--since that's a useless term now--but in the Middle Ages, you have to admit things were bad for ladies.) Suggestions?

What gender do you think the shape-shifter should be, or should it even have one?

Should the shape-shifter's original form be human, or other?

The dragon should be...? (How the bond would have formed, etc.)

The dragon should be: animal or humanized?

What should the heroine look like?

What should the people of the Northern Empire (needs a name), look like?

Name suggestions for either country?

Other creatures, species, races? Apart from native wildlife, of course.

Eventual romantic relationship between heroine and shape-shifter? Emphasis on the eventual. (Otherwise: gag.)

Thanks for reading. (May post more questions as I start working, but...yeah.) Double-thanks if you not only read, but commented. :D
My SPD senses are tingling.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:49 pm
Rosendorn says...

I am already writing what I want to see in YA fantasy this year. I doubt your novel will be able to fill this void for plot, because I'm filling it myself.

So I ask this question to you. What do you want to read?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:06 am
Cspr says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:

I am already writing what I want to see in YA fantasy this year. I doubt your novel will be able to fill this void for plot, because I'm filling it myself.

So I ask this question to you. What do you want to read?

Something without the petty issues and pointless drama this generation seems to be filled with. And maybe with hatred that actually has a purpose. And less demented arguments. And where tyrannical governments are considered bad. And where lines aren't so neatly drawn.
Basically, a world with more meaning. That'd be nice.

That's what I'd like to see. Oh, and fewer vampires. Or some good vampire novels. Though I doubt I'd see any of those pop up.

...Good luck with your novel anyway.
...And thanks for taking the time to comment, even if my post was confused because I wasn't sure what I wanted to put/ask...
My SPD senses are tingling.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:48 pm
Rosendorn says...

Your post wasn't confusing at all.

Thing is, if you write for other people it'll probably be harder. You'll also never be able to please everybody, and your interpretation of what one person wants to see will probably be different than their interpretation.

Just focus on writing what you want to see, and it'll shine through your writing. I could name quite a few writers that are respected who only write what they want to see. Tamora Pierce, Joss Whedon, and probably more. Their love for the topic bleeds through their work, and readers/watchers just lap it up.

There's also how you learn a lot more considering all the variables yourself. Even if you're worried about something being cliche, remember that cliches are cliches because they work. Sometimes they're easy, but so long as you pick one with a million outcomes and figure out what will be unique (combining situation and character) you should be fine.

And how can you not see it, if you're going to be writing it? ;)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns