z

Young Writers Society

Can they be changed?

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:11 am
Rob says...

I have a question that has been bugging me for years.. But due to the superficiality and i-do-not-care-go-away reactions I have got, I really need you guys to answer me this.
Can one change the mentality of people through literature?
I mean, I am really fed up with everything that is going on in this world, I hate people [ well , most of them ] for what they are , what they believe in, promoting beauty not talent, always looking for money, ignoring details, little things, love..
Call me gullible , but I believe, or have really high hopes in this matter. I really think that someone can change mankind through words. I believe that someone can make people believe in love again, pay attention to little things, start caring, think about others rather than themselves.
I would really like to know your opinion.
"The day we lose our need for dreams is the day the human race forfeits its soul." -John Chiam
"Morpheus: Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life." -Matrix

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:59 am
Razcoon says...

I just had to answer.
It all depends on how open-minded they decide to be. There will always be people who won't budge from their opinions or simple, superficial, empty ideals, as we live in a close minded world. Among writers, I believe this is a commonly shared frustration. It's a battle, definitely, but we awesome literary folk know our superiority over the screwed up priorities shared by much of the planet! Hopefully they'll come around. Keep your hopes up and keep writing. ;)
Last edited by Razcoon on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:03 am
Button says...

I think that if there was a movement in literature, this might be a little easier to accomplish- if it's one person, you'd have to make a big name for yourself, and be internationally recognized. Someone like Paulo Coehlo.

But to answer your question: yes, I do think it can happen. Literature is very persuasive, and my view on humanity might be a little optomistic, but I think that if they're given an idea on how to be good, and how to be happy, they might follow through on it. Of course, some people, upon reading about it, will go, "Oh, that's really cool! I'm going to change the way I live!" and then never do anything. But I think that others would really take it to heart.

The superficial, bigger/newer- is-always-better world kind of drives me crazy too. I moved out of the US to get away from that, because this lifestyle is especially rampant there. People have set their hearts on the wrong things. They forget to find the beauty in the smaller things, that usually just take a little bit more looking, maybe a bit more time. Sometimes, reading brings us to new ideas like these ones, and I think that if people were to read it, and REALLY read it, instead of skimming, it could make a difference. If you make people think with your writing, they'll eventually have to learn how to think for themselves.

So, I dunno if I just answered your question properly. But there you go. :)

55 Reviews

Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:24 am
Rob says...

Thank you for your responses. It would be great to start a movement like this on YWS. Who knows?..
I really appreciate you two for taking the time to respond. It really bugs me, but I'm happy to see that I am not the only one that thinks like that.
I am no Paulo Coehlo, but I'm certainly going to give it a try.
"The day we lose our need for dreams is the day the human race forfeits its soul." -John Chiam

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:51 pm
Kale says...

Yes, though you have to keep in mind that how you go about spreading your messages will impact how many receive them. If your message is obviously the whole point for your writing (and I don't mean in retrospect obvious but rather the blatant, in-your-face while you're reading obvious), then people will pick up on that and resent being force-fed the message, no matter how good or sensible it is; be too blatant about the message-spreading, and you'll even seed resentment among those who believe in the message you are trying to spread.

Assuming you're using literature in the sense of creative works of nonfiction, if you have a message to spread, it's better to just write a pamphlet or some articles on the topic rather than cobble together a sham of a story.

That isn't to say that stories can't be vehicles for messages; they can be, and excellent ones at that. You just have to take into consideration everything else that makes a story well-crafted. Stories, especially ones which have messages to spread, need to be enjoyable on some level and easily accessible. The more people you reach with your stories, and the more people that enjoy them, the more likely it is that people will remember your stories and, by extension, your message.

So basically, if you're going to use literature to spread some messages, make sure those messages don't overpower all the other elements of the story. When someone wants to read a story, they want to read a story and not a soapbox speech, after all. But if the story happens to contain a message at its core, well, readers are more willing to forgive the preaching (if they even pick up on it as preaching) and look more favorably upon the message.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:41 pm
Rosendorn says...

In short? Yes. But it takes a lot of work to get there.

Long version: Works that change people usually need to resonate with one person, preferably multiple people, and deconstruct how they view life so completely that it changes their perceptions. The larger a book resonates with a situation, the more influential it becomes (1984, for example).

This usually takes a combination of skill, practice, a keen eye and luck.

I do believe it's possible. But it's a challenge, and chances are you'll only hit one or two people if you're lucky.

Also, Ky brings up a very good point about how that shouldn't be your only goal. A story is first, anything else is second.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:12 am
theotherone says...

What your are saying is inspiring, but I personally think that we can't change other people, just ourselves. But by changing your ways, you can influence others to do that as well. It would be a great idea, and I would support you fully, because I'm, like you, am sick and tired of hearing people concentrating on themselves and no one else around them. I seriously want to open their eyes, so they can see what is going on around them...

I better stop before I write a novel on this... ;) When I get worked up, I'm unstoppable.

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

55 Reviews

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:55 am
Rob says...

Thank you all for your replies. It's nice to see that people think that something fairly impossible can be done. I will try, [ not now of course, because I'm a little weak at writting at the moment ] and I would be happy if I will change at least one person.
Thank you again.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:59 am
HopeLove says...

"Love is over-rated?" I'm amused, but in a good way. I find it fascinating that there is something bigger than love- the same love that has been the root cause of many a trojan battle. I think I'm going to like it here- where writers write and every word means something.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:11 pm
LookUpThere says...

Oh entirely! However, you can't straight and honest change them. That's down right impossible. If so we'd have evil dictators usurping the writing empire and forcing the world into semi-illiteracy so that they can brainwash them... oh wait.

However, you can really rake their hearts a bit and plant seeds in them... plenty. Get them thinking about stuff. That won't change them, but when this event comes across, it kind of waters that seed and in that way you can change a person. Or you could plant the seed after a good old rain and get results *cough*barackobama*cough*.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:38 pm
jackolantern says...

depends. some people are so thick and superficial that you aren't going to reach them no matter what the quality of your writing is. (which i'm sure is excellent) sometimes people just don't want to see whats actually happening, and unless in your literature you can back up your position with facts, then you are not going to get anywhere. sometimes an allegory can be the best way to try and change someone's opinion. seeing a situation in a different light, or even different world can make naysayers decide to reconsider their position.

Overripe sushi, The master Is full of regret.
— Buson