z

Young Writers Society

Writing Posture

Reviews: 0
Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:47 am
haleymariew says...

Whenever i start typing, i tend to be better focused when I do the whole 'Good Posture' thing they teach you in Keyboarding class (it was mandatory last year). By Good Posture, i mean sitting up straight and at a desk. Am i the only one? What type of posture do you need when you type?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:01 pm
Rosendorn says...

My posture is so varied, lol I have a laptop so I go from cross-legged on my bed with a bit of a gamer's hunch, to leaning back in my chair with my feet up, to laying on my stomach. Depends on my mood.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:54 pm
Jagged says...

Same as Rosey. I go from semi-straight to sprawled over the chair to leaning back and propping my feet on the table. It's probably doing terrible, terrible things to my spine, but if I keep still I get distracted and uncomfortable.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
MeadowLark says...

I sit back in my chair, prop my feet onto the desk and pull the keyboard into my lap and sit like that. Or I sit crosslegged on the chair and hunch forwards when I'm in a writing mood. My lower back sure aches from the various postures [before I broke my wooden chair] but now that I have a spinny cushioned chair, it doesn't hurt that bad.
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

367 Reviews

Reviews: 367
Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:42 am
Mizzle says...

Interesting. When I write, it truly does vary, though, much like Jagged and Rosey said of themselves. At times, when I am sitting in the old leather chair in the office, in front of the desktop computer, I will mantain relatively good posture. Most of the time, however, my posture when writing would be enough to make anyone worry what bad things I am doing to my spine. I'll sit cross-legged on the bed, all hunched over my notebook, or leaned forward in a gamer's like position toward my laptop, again cross-legged. I hunch a lot when I write.

Posture is definitely not on my mind when I write, however.
"Chase your dreams, and remember me, speak bravery,
Because after all, those wings will take you up so high."
-- Owl City, "To the Sky"
✯ ✯ ✯

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:42 am
RacheDrache says...

No, I did not just pull my shoulders back and sit up straight. Really. I mean it.

Okay, I lied. My posture's awful, though I'm really trying to work on it (and it's much better than it was.)

Still, when I'm at my computer can be the worst, depending on where I'm actually sitting. Sometimes I'm reclined back in my bed with it on my lap desk. Other times I'm at my desk desk slunched over.

Curiously enough, I've had some very successful writing sessions the days when I knew I'd have a few good hours to myself and thus, uh, used a scarf to tie my shoulders against the back of my chair, and then used another scarf to tie my waist to the back of the chair. I was thus forced into sitting up straight, and maybe that had something to do with increased productivity. But, then again, the being tied to the chair part also prevented those unnecessary trips to go get things or do this or that.

Hmm.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:17 pm
Mazey says...

My writing posture... hmm... haha.... let's not delve too far into that? *Looks around, hoping her doctor isn't reading this post*, okay, I'll talk. My posture is horrible. Like most of the others on here, when I write at my bed with my laptop, I'm normally hunched over (which I don't feel hurting me until AFTER I un-hunch, or whatever you call it). When I'm at my desk, my posture's a little better (I can't hunch over), but I'm still not sitting up straight.

You know... I think we should all do what Rachael did. Something tells me that being strapped to our writing chairs would increase productivity by about 100%... but only do that AFTER you disable your internet, and make it impossible for you to turn it back on unless you get out of your chair. (This goes for all of us procrastinators that use YWS as an excuse... but a good excuse, at that!... for not writing.)

Hahaha :mrgreen:

-Mazey
"Write what you want to read."

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:39 am
View Likes
Kale says...

I write primarily with pen and paper, so my posture depends on where I'm writing. If it's in class, my posture is horrible, but I blame it on the desks/chairs/fact that it hurts to sit straight in those seats.

I do most of my writing in bed though, and with how I arrange my pillows, it's actually quite comfy/good for my back. Not so much for my neck though. XD So I'll occasionally switch positions, like on my stomach, or my side, sometimes hanging half-off the bed...

It varies quite a bit. XD
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 am
ultraviolet says...

Well, with a computer it doesn't really matter to me, though I tend to do better when sitting up straight on a couch. But when with a notebook, if I'm at a desk, I'm usually leaning over the notebook, chair turned to the left. When on like a bed, I like laying on my right, leaning my head and upper body slightly to the left, with my right arm on the paper as I write. It'd probably be opposite if I were left-handed.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

snacks are relevant to every situation and your argument is invalid
— LemonTheDorkyPanda