z

Young Writers Society

Ελληνικά

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:48 pm
Mazzi says...

Key: Important Item|Location|Character

Plot: Jake is going to travel to the land of the gods, Ελληνικά or Olympus as known in english is the center of all known god activity. It is full of mythical creatures and beings such as Centaur, Griffin, Satyrs and many other weired and wonderful places. There are many artifacts that open portals from Earth to Olympus, many of these portals are lost and still active, one very important and special artifact that opens all the portals to Earth is The Gladistar Ring held by Princess Cressida. When going to earth the portal closes up and Jake is trapped in the mysterious world of Olympus! Jake also has a ring, The Midgard Ring, his father found it (he is an archeologist) and kept it in a locked cabinet. When Jake's father went missing the cabinet was opened, the ring was there and there was no trace of who, or what, opened it. Jake must travel to the far reaches of olympus to retrieve the only keeper of another ring. Hades.

Facts:
-Jake and his family live in a town just outside of london, Kingsgrove.

Characters:

Jake Griffin

Spoiler! :
Character: Main

Appearance: Long brown hair, brown eyebrows and he is a light skin tone. He wears black glasses which have squared rims and thin sides. He is currently wearing his black t-shirt with dark blue jeans and black pointed shoes.

Personality: Cool, calm and intelligent. He is casual at times and has his head in the clouds, he is always keeping his eyes out and likes to think he knows what he's doing when he ussually dosen't, making little checks and thinking to himself.

Flaws: He can offend people with his jokes sometimes and thinks out of the box so is critisized for his 'imaginative' thoughts.

History: Jakes dad is an archeologist, he went missing when Jake turned 12. Jakes father used to tell him stories of the great gods and when Jake was 11 he said that he could visit olympus. When Jake was over-intrested he hid away everything and said that it was just a story. Jakes life has been normal from there and has had no encounters with anything relevant to gods. He has his head in the clouds alot, dreaming of gods and olympus. He draws pictures of them and has them stuck all over his room.

Up for love: Yes, since he has hardly no friends it would be obvious that he dosen't have a girlfriend.

Other:

Secret/s: He has no secrets but can keep them easily. If he does have a secret that someone is in danger he will tell them.

James Griffin

Spoiler! :
Character: Minor

Appearance: Brown short hair, black glasses and is over tanned/burnt (red-ish) Last seen wearing a grey shirt with a grey collar and black proffesional trousers.

Personality: Determined, thinks out of the box. Believes in the impossible, obsessed with gods and mythical creatures.

Flaws: Missing

History: Has been missing since Jake was 12. Researched mythology and became a professor at a university. Then left his job to research more physically about gods and mythology.

Up for love: Married.

Other: Missing, possibly made it too olympus.

Secret/s: May have a life in olympus now.

Jayne Griffin

Spoiler! :
Character: Minor

Appearance: Blonde hair (dyed) with a hint of black, wears makeup alot. Currently wearing a light grey womens t-shirt and black jagging bottoms.

Personality: Tries to keep happy at all times, ussually not sad. Has hope for her husband to come back one day. Never seen without a smile, sometimes can be too jolly.

Flaws: Can be too happy sometimes, really misses her husband.

History: She is Jakes mother, she dosen't believe in gods as much as her husband, James. She has too take a 6-day job now James is gone.

Up for love: Married.

Other: Would break down if Jake left too probably.

Secret/s: She secretly really misses her husband and prays for his return every sunday night.

Locations:

The Lines

Spoiler! :
Description: The lines is an old railway, turned into a public pathway in the 1900's people who live on the estate use it to get to the main town. It also has lots of hide away spaces behind the trees.

When: First chapter

Where: Just outside london, on the outskirts of Kingsgrove.

Who: Jake and Cressida

Important items:

The Gladistar Ring

Spoiler! :
Who: Cressida and Hades have two identical rings.

Where: On there fingers.

When: Throughout the book.

The Midgard Ring

Spoiler! :
Who: Jake

Where: On his finger

When: Throughout the book

Notes/Resources:
Community Name Generator
Town Name Generator
Tell the people Mazzi is here! To defend the defenseless! Befriend the friendless! And to defeat...the defeatless!

P.S and to love Lemurs!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:42 am
Rosendorn says...

Hey there. I'm Rosey and I'll be reviewing your idea today.

The first thing I noticed what your title. While it is attention getting, it is also hard to read and the obscure language makes it look a bit too much like you're trying to sound smart for the sake of it. I ran your title by a friend who knows Greek, and he is pretty sure your title is incorrect. It translates to "Greek", not "Olympus." If anybody else who saw your title knew Greek, they would probably pick up on this mistake and think you haven't done your research (according to him, the actual title should be Όλυμπος). Also, because your plot is not 100% Greek (I'll get to that later) the Greek letters look out of place in your mild mish-mash.

Second thing. The Greek/Norse mix. Your plot looks a lot like LotR [Lord of the Rings] with the quest for the ring, and you are using Norse mythology, which was the basis of LotR. Not only does this make your idea seem more familiar, but it also breaks up the apparent all-Greek base. The rings are what I'm talking about, with the Norse base.

Next, the way the rings handle portals. What prevents them from being abused? Especially with your current set-up with Hades in a more antagonistical position; ie- somebody who is an opponent to be negotiated with or defeated. It also sets up a lot of logistical implications, such as the havoc that can be brought about should somebody decide to abuse it. Even if it gets used properly, there can still be a lot of problems with an all-open key.

The Hades thing I bring up because he actually wasn't that much of an antagonist in Greek Myth. The "good" Gods themselves were much nastier than he was, all told. This makes the plot look rather classic "Hell is evil", without the historical parameters for what Heaven and Hell were in Greece. If you were to take these parameters into account, then your story could really get some interesting twists. Especially if you get into what sort of usual quest items found in Greek Myth, instead of relying on the slightly more stereotypical quest items the Norse rings are.

Onto his father... I don't like that he "just happens" to be an archaeologist who found a super powerful ring and kept it. My question to that whole situation is "why?" Why is he an archaeologist? Why did he find the ring? Why did he keep the ring, instead of giving it to a museum (and please do not say "he didn't want it to go in public view because he knew it was powerful." That's been done a million times)? That whole thing reads as a Deus Ex Machina to me, which is when a not-so-logical plot point is put into the story just so the plot could work. Unless rationalized, these Deus Ex Machinas (rather literally, from Greek, "God out of the machine") are often viewed as quick fixes at best.

Hope this helps in research. I'd focus more strongly on the Greek roots of our plot points, to stay closer to them and not look like you tried to mesh "traditional" fantasy (LotR-based mythos) with Greece, as the two are very different mythologies and cultures.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
— Calvin