z

Young Writers Society

Writing Dialogue?

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:07 pm
chellelynn says...

I'm not sure this is the place to put this question and if it isn't, feel free to move it! Basically, I really suck at writing dialogue. Actually, I'm reading my first ever half-written novel and realizing it sucks period. It seems that I simply write one event after another with not enough emotion or connection. For example, at the part I'm re-editing for the millionth time now, my FMC(Samantha) is living in a foster care centre with a bunch of other people. The only person she's really allowed herself to get close to is a boy named Kieran, who refuses to give up on becoming a part of her life. Now, the thing is, by page 23, Samantha is out of the home and saying goodbye. I'm having a hard time writing about her falling for him, without it just sounding awkward. Samantha herself is a girl with major trust issues who's never really allowed herself to have friends. I want to put more Samantha/Kieran scenes in the novel, but I can't think of any at all! You know, like dates, little conversations, stuff that will make the reader connect with them and bring them closer. Any help?!
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirious of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars

Reviews: 4
Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:50 am
SaraAnne says...

There are some awesome hints in the Writing Tips section which might help you out. There are also no doubt a lot of resources on the net whch could help.

If your issue is writing dialogue for specific characters, really you're going to have to work out what feels right for you. Personally, I have always felt that the key to good dialogue is good characterisation. If I feel like I know and can hear a character, the dialogue comes really naturally.

You also discussed how you should bring your characters together. The best way of doing this is throughout the plot, so that the action of the novel is continually throwing your characters into contact with eachother. Alternatively, if the romance is the action of the novel you could try building in subplots that require the characters to be together.

Hope this helps somehow.
How long can a horse run for?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:18 am
Talulahbelle says...

Dearest Chellelynn!
Don't fret! You say this is your first ever half-written novel? And you're looking at it, thinking "Oh lordy, this is terrible!", right? Well, we've all been there - heck! All us crazy people with voices in our head and way too many papers covered with seemingly senseless scribbles floating around us are in an eternal battle with what you are feeling right now! But trust me - it gets better. I swear. You'll get better. No one is perfect when they first begin. No one is perfect when they're done! First - you have to forget about getting better. Don't stress about what's bothering you know. Just write for the pleasure of writing! Don't give a flyin' whoop about wether its good or not - that's not the point of it! THe point is that there's a person - a place - an event - a story in you and you've gotta let it out, right? Then let it out! You can always edit after you're done with the WHOLE novel. That way, you feel accomplished that you finished your first novel - something not than many people can brag about right? Then, you can go back at judge your past-writer-self! Think of it as a learning thing! "Look! Two months ago, when I wrote this I thought this was a good line - but oh ho! I know better know! I've learned! I've grown! And all I've done is write! Wow! Go self!" You'll get better at things without realizing it. So relax and don't let it get to you.
And as for Kieran and Samantha, I had the same Problem with my first novel characters too! October never really had friends - growing up taking care of her senile grandmother and only relative. She meets Vallen - a strange homeless boy with strange secrets. I wanted them to meet somehow and fall in love. Well, easier said than done. Finally I just sat down and thought about what I would like to see happen to and between them - wether it pertained to the story or not. I wanted October to see some cruelty shown by people towards Vallen. So - they ended up outside a fast-food joint where Vallen was reluctant to go in. I wanted the reader to see how artistic October was - so she and Vallen meet as they both admire some grafitti.
I guess what I'm trying to say is to relax and have fun. If you want your characters to have mroe scenes together - then play around with them. Don't worry about how good it is. That can come later. As long as you love what and who you're writing - then you're on the right track.
So, my apologies for the really long post - but I got carried away. I hope this helps - but I probably just ended up sounding like my mum. lol! Good luck!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:17 am
chellelynn says...

Thank you both so so so much! SaraAnne, you gave some very great advice that I definately intend on using haha and TalulahBelle, you definately gave me some much needed motivation. Thank you thank you thank you!
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirious of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:42 am
captain.classy says...

On punctuation: topic44898.html

If you need specific help, PM me. :)

Reviews: 0
Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:00 am
Phenx101 says...

I generally listen to the way people speak to each other. If you can get to the point where you know a person, or your character so well, you should be able to know exactly what they are going to say next. I feel that I know my characters so well that I know their fears, hopes, and asperations which guide the dialouge. That is what works for me, just an idea. :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:44 pm
Rosendorn says...

Sounds like you have a few issues, here.

1- When it comes to dialogue, listen to how you think and how you talk, along with how other people talk. IM can be a total lifesaver, as can diaries. IM conversations, especially when the person talks like they would in real life, can really help figure out how dialogue flows.

2- When it comes to idea generation, let yourself just daydream about what could happen romantically. And do not censor yourself when it comes to what's cliche or not— you can make it more realistic later. In your downtime, just have their relationship come into your head and let the characters decide how things could go.

And if they never end up connecting... then you're probably dealing with a case of the characters overruling the author. They just don't want to be forced together. Look past those character interactions and see what else could work.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

People ask if I ever experience writer's block and I just have to laugh... that's my default position.
— Aaron Sorkin