z

Young Writers Society

Just a question.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:13 pm
Lollipopper says...

Okay if you guys could help me just a little...that would be great. I just need a little opinion. I am making a character in a short story of mine, and he controls water. He has black hair and blue eyes. I am afraid he's too much like Percy Jackson, although I did NOT make him purposely like Percy Jackson. Do you think it would make a big difference? The story isn't at all like Rick Riordan's, but still. I know it's not that big of a deal cause it's just a short story for fun, but I am just wondering.

Thank you!

--Lollipopper
Yeah, that's Hedwig staring at you determinedly.

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:38 pm
Jagged says...

There are only so many combinations of hair+eye colors and elemental powers in the world, so unless the similarities between your character and Percy are really, pointedly obvious (which, from what you say, is not the case), I don't see why there would be any problem.
Just write your story with your character the way you would have if you hadn't know about Percy Jackson, and I don't think there'll be any issues with it.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:14 pm
View Likes
PhoenixBishop says...

Actually, I think his eyes are green in the book if I'm not mistaken. Even if I'm wrong that really does not matter. Jagged said it well. When it comes to descriptions of hair and eyes, we are somewhat limited. I mean how many people have you seen in life with said combination. Now you have to make sure the personalities are different because then it would be too much overlap. I suppose if you're really worried about it then you'd have to get to know the Percy Jackson character by analysis and then make sure there aren't too many overlaps. If it comes to that, make a chart of similarities and differences. If your differences far outnumber your similarities then you are fine.
Last edited by PhoenixBishop on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:56 pm
Lollipopper says...

Alright thank you guys so much! Great advice. And to Phoenix, sorry, I meant my character had dark hair and blue eyes, and Percy is described with sea-green eyes and black hair.

Again..thank you!

--Lollipopper
Yeah, that's Hedwig staring at you determinedly.

A memorandum isn't written to inform the receiver, but to protect the writer.
— Dean Acheson