z

Young Writers Society

New to this

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:34 am
LauRux says...

I don't know if this is the right forum, but here I go.

So I've had this idea for a novel start to percolate in my mind and I need some advice.

I have never written a full length novel before, only short stories. The idea I have would involve a series of novels, but I'm a little wary of diving into something as large as that. Should I try writing something smaller first so I can get the hang of it, or just jump right in?

I know this sounds like a insignificant questions but it has really been bugging me. Any advice would be helpful!

-Lauren
Favorite books:

The Hunger Games

Eyes Like Stars

Life of Pi

Mortal Instruments

Howl's Moving Castle

Reviews: 4
Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:49 am
SaraAnne says...

In three words, go for it.

You have nothing to loose. If your series peters out because you aren't able to sustain it, then you have lost nothing and gained valuable experience.

It might do you more harm as a writer to stifle and suppress ideas you are excited about.

Good luck and happy writing.
How long can a horse run for?

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:53 pm
LauRux says...

Thanks so much! Sometimes my carefulness gets the best of me ;)
Favorite books:

The Hunger Games

Eyes Like Stars

Life of Pi

Mortal Instruments

Howl's Moving Castle

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:22 am
Masquerade says...

If you need extra motivation try one of the novel writing months. National Novel Writing Month just ended, but I believe January is a writing month, too, and so is July. NaNoWriMo is one of few things that will actually motivate me to get through the whole thing.
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

367 Reviews

Reviews: 367
Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:46 am
View Likes
Mizzle says...

Let me guess - your mind's begging you to write the novel, but logic's telling you to quit? Let me tell you, as a writer, I have been there, and dealt with that roadblock.

When you have the idea for something, never be afraid to plunge into it and write it. There's nothing bad that come of it - honestly, there isn't. Perhaps you do finish the novel, you'll feel even more accomplished, and if not - oh, well, better luck next time, and you still had fun writing.

Don't ever hesitate.

And, also, like said before - NaNoWriMo can be your best friend.

G'day,
Mizz
"Chase your dreams, and remember me, speak bravery,
Because after all, those wings will take you up so high."
-- Owl City, "To the Sky"
✯ ✯ ✯

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
— Mark Twain