z

Young Writers Society

Where do you get these amazing ideas ?

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:42 pm
Cspr says...

To paraphrase Stephen King: I get my ideas from Wal-Mart.

Ideas are all 'round! Just keep your eyes and ears open. Listen in on conversations. Good naturally stalk people. Go to your neighborhood art museum. Go to your library and pick up the first history book you see--write about one of the people in it, but in another world, another time, and with a different name. Or whatever you want. Learn something new. Try your hand at art, or music. Try something totally different than you're used to. Try out fanfiction. Look up names and find one you like, then make a story out of it. Or pick out a name and ask "What does she/he want?" Find it. Then find out what's stopping them from getting it. Try some of the writer activities here. Ask for someone to give you weekly prompts.

Just know writer's block isn't without a cure. If you're having severe trouble, free-write. None of it has to make sense. Just write. String words together. Let your mind take you where it will. Also, read some books on character building and setting. The main cause of writer's block is a lack of knowledge about your world. Find what drives your characters, then take away everything from them. Torture them. Then, at the end, let them succeed. (Hundreds of stories in a nutshell!)

Hope some of that^ helps. If not, I shall try my hand at finding more things to suggest...which wouldn't be hard. I'm a chatty, know-it-all-sort peep.
My SPD senses are tingling.

It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner