z

Young Writers Society

I have no idea which story idea to pursue..

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:58 pm
Amnien says...

Hey everyone.. This is my problem,

Right now I have, roughly, five story ideas. Each one I love as much as the other and each one a totally different concept and genre. So my question to you guys is: How do I know which one I should write? Because I have gotten to the point of playing choosing games like: Inie mini miney moe, flip a coin, ink a bink, and even drawing names out of a hat.. But with each answer to those games I feel like it's the wrong choice... I'm stuck :(

For those who are curious the story ideas are pretty much this:
1. A short story with ghosts and demons.
2. A story of a independent rapper trying to make it.
3. A teen romance/drama with a lot of heartbreak and sorrow.
4. A post apocalyptic novel that follows a family trying to survive.
5. A kid that is kidnapped, but, escapes and is now on the run from the group that kidnapped him.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback! Thanks, YWS! :)
Simply Crazed.

Once you see death up close, then you know what the value of life is. - SAW VI

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:50 am
LookUpThere says...

In this order:

A teen romance/drama with a lot of heartbreak and sorrow.
A post apocalyptic novel that follows a family trying to survive.
A short story with ghosts and demons.
A story of a independent rapper trying to make it.
A kid that is kidnapped, but, escapes and is now on the run from the group that kidnapped him.

You should have fun writing them and I guess that would be the order of fun. But to be honest they're all pretty equal. But remember to add a gimick to each and try out for NaNo. You could always go with the ienie-meeni-miny-woah! game :D

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:54 pm
Amnien says...

Haha. Thanks for the reply :)
Simply Crazed.

Once you see death up close, then you know what the value of life is. - SAW VI

367 Reviews

Reviews: 367
Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:22 am
Mizzle says...

Amnien wrote:Right now I have, roughly, five story ideas. Each one I love as much as the other and each one a totally different concept and genre. So my question to you guys is: How do I know which one I should write? Because I have gotten to the point of playing choosing games like: Inie mini miney moe, flip a coin, ink a bink, and even drawing names out of a hat.. But with each answer to those games I feel like it's the wrong choice.

First of all, hello there, Amnien!

Secondly, how wonderful is it to be blessed with so many ideas? It must be fantastic. Now, an overload of ideas can be a great thing, but it can also be a writer's doom if they don't know how to handle those ideas properly. After all, what good is an idea if two seconds after you write it down, you're wishing you'd gone with the other idea?

Now, if I were you, I wouldn't resort to flipping a coin or drawing out names. Honestly, I don't think that would do my ideas justice. Ideas are like children; love and care and teach them, and they will be brilliant, while neglect will get you no where.

I would begin by taking time to plan out each idea - not write it, just write down a basic plot. And then, choose the one that comes most naturally to you; the one that you feel more like you are doing research and not making up. If that doesn't work, try seeing if you can combine the ideas.

Hope this helps.
~Mizz
"Chase your dreams, and remember me, speak bravery,
Because after all, those wings will take you up so high."
-- Owl City, "To the Sky"
✯ ✯ ✯

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:21 am
lilymoore says...

Well hello there Amnien. We haven't met before but I'm Lily, a resident YWS crazy you could say. Anyway...I may have a solution for you with this little ditty. Many members don't even know how to find the Knowledge Base but if you do ever find it, it can be a disturbingly useful resource. And that article, hopefully will be able to help you the way I intended it too when I worn it. Either way, good luck, Amnien.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:27 pm
FromtheHeart says...

Mizzle wrote:Now, if I were you, I wouldn't resort to flipping a coin or drawing out names. Honestly, I don't think that would do my ideas justice. Ideas are like children; love and care and teach them, and they will be brilliant, while neglect will get you no where.

I couldn't agree more with this statement! The whole point of writing stories, poems, novels, etc is enjoyment and expressing yourself. Because of this, you want the result to be as high quality as humanly possible. I realize that all of your ideas are about equal in importance, but I would flesh out out your ideas further . . .on all of them. I suppose, whatever you feel the most emotionally attached to should be the first idea. Once you choose and idea, start writing -- but don't rush! Take your time, open your mind and the ideas will flow freely. Trust me! :D
Jennifer Ritter
No, I will not write your essay. XP

Hail Hydra
— Stan Lee