z

Young Writers Society

I feel like I have ADD ._.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:16 am
Roal says...

Really, I do make random stuff and just suddenly change the topics and all that but... my problem is that I can't keep on one direction when it comes to stories xP
I just write one and then I suddenly feel like writing another story so I kind of end up never finishing the story I was suppose to work on. I can't help it really, there's so many ideas I want to write but I want to ACTUALLY finish a story before I start another one. There are so many unfinished stories I want to... finish D:

So in lemur's term: I can start a story but I somewhat can't finish it due to my overflowing of ideas :L

Or maybe it's because my brain doesn't want to finish the story cause it's too lazy to.
I don't know DX
All I know is that until I finish E's Diary, I must not write something else.
Which I failed miserably by the way.

--------

The other thing is that I have this problem when it comes to dialog xp
I just can't help but add so much dialogs which makes it look like it's script rather than a story. Sucks :[
14 years have passed
And yet I'm unabled
To find a friend
For my existence is lower
Than a piece of grass.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:13 am
LookUpThere says...

Lucky girl. Maybe you do have ADD, maybe not. Don't feel bad, not many people even finish their stories (I can't even start my most recent). And yes, there are those common ideas that pop up. Do you mean ideas like plotlines or just interesting scenes which develop into seperate stories. A few tips I can give you is have an ideas folder/document/notepad where you just jot down ideas you have. It'll really help you in the long-run and dry season. Secondly, try and thread the ideas into a logical story so you can just build upon a story. If you have a romance story idea and a superhero one, use the romance thing as a sub-plot in the superhero story. Make sense? Well, that's all I really have. Let me know how it works out!

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:36 pm
Roal says...

TheNewHero wrote:Lucky girl. Maybe you do have ADD, maybe not. Don't feel bad, not many people even finish their stories (I can't even start my most recent). And yes, there are those common ideas that pop up. Do you mean ideas like plotlines or just interesting scenes which develop into seperate stories. A few tips I can give you is have an ideas folder/document/notepad where you just jot down ideas you have. It'll really help you in the long-run and dry season. Secondly, try and thread the ideas into a logical story so you can just build upon a story. If you have a romance story idea and a superhero one, use the romance thing as a sub-plot in the superhero story. Make sense? Well, that's all I really have. Let me know how it works out!

Well that's what I do, write stuff down on a notepad :]
But right now, I ran out of... stickies D:
I forgot what they're call but they are now stickies. Guess I have to use my own notepad on the computer -.-
14 years have passed
And yet I'm unabled
To find a friend
For my existence is lower
Than a piece of grass.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:35 pm
cannibalcorpse3 says...

Maybe if you wrote one incredibally unpredictable and imaginative story that was just so all over the place that you could introduce tons of crazily combined material you'd exert yourself and/or not get distracted :D
I.e. Inceptum, The Imaginarim of Dr. Parnassus, or Donnie Darko even.
That'd be fairly awesome, I'd probably read :)
The remainder is, An unjustifiable, egotistical, power struggle, At the expense of the American Dream.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:34 pm
Wariofart says...

I definitely have the same problem as you! Here's a couple of tips I've learned over the years of half-starting, never finishing.

1) Short Stories
Short stories are your friend. They give you limitless freedom to do whatever you want, and help you quickly develop as a writer. Instead of working on one project for months or even years like you'd have to do for a novel, you can write a short story in a day or so. that lets you burn through a lot of your ideas, with much less of a risk you'll get bored, because you can finish them so easily. Plus, it's immensely satisfying when you do finish a short story!

2) Keep It Loose
If you really want to write a novel, I'd suggest keeping it loose. By which I mean, don't tie yourself down to a very specific plot-line with all the events already planned out. Instead, let it grow and adapt as you think of exciting new ideas. Having an ensemble cast is good too, so just in case you get bored with one character, you can switch to another.

3) The Pressure to Finish
Pressure is a good thing. Without it, we'd all be lumps sitting on the coach eating Doritos all day. Pressure helps us get up, and do meaningful things with our lives. And pressure is really helpful with trying to finish a longterm project like a novel. Set a time limit for yourself. Give yourself a weekly word count goal that you have to spend on your novel. Tell your family so you feel accountable to finish. I know this sound like it will cause you stress, and it will. But that's a good thing here. NaNoWriMo is a great way to do that.

Sorry for writing an essay on this, but I hope I helped!
"This is a song for a scribbled out name
That my love keeps writing again and again
And again"

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:25 pm
FromtheHeart says...

Oh my GOSH! I can't tell you how many times I've encountered this predicament! The same goes for many of my paintings. I have a unfinished acrylic painting sitting in my upstairs attic. I haven't touched the darn thing in forever.

However, Wariofart (funny name, btw) brought up my mom's point to a T:

Wariofart wrote: 3) The Pressure to Finish
Pressure is a good thing. Without it, we'd all be lumps sitting on the coach eating Doritos all day. Pressure helps us get up, and do meaningful things with our lives. And pressure is really helpful with trying to finish a longterm project like a novel. Set a time limit for yourself. Give yourself a weekly word count goal that you have to spend on your novel. Tell your family so you feel accountable to finish. I know this sound like it will cause you stress, and it will. But that's a good thing here. NaNoWriMo is a great way to do that.

Where is the pressure coming from? My audience! My audience (here in real life) is my mother and she's the one who gets on my case to finish. It's a blessing and curse -- but I'm THANKFUL that she's on top of me. If she wasn't, I probably wouldn't get much done in general. ;)

Just keep pushing forward! You don't have A.D.D! I think this is a problem that everyone has encountered at some point in time. When you're really creative, it's difficult to stay on one project because the ideas in your head are overflowing. This can become intimidating, but sometimes you have to tell your brain to shut up (if that makes ANY sense, whatsoever). ;)
Jennifer Ritter
No, I will not write your essay. XP

"Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer, rather than to remain a dupe to illusions all one's life."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening