z

Young Writers Society

Writing/Reading in Languages Other Than English?

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:24 am
Kibble says...

I know some people here write and read in languages other than English. I only speak English, but I can read Latin and I've sort of written some things in Latin. I'd love to be able to speak another language*, although I think it would be harder than writing as you have to think so fast and I couldn't go back and edit! :D

Anyway, what languages do you read and write in?

*I can roughly understand spoken Latin, not that that's useful as nobody speaks Latin anymore. *wishes for TARDIS so I could go to Ancient Rome*
Last edited by Kibble on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:52 am
Jagged says...

French and English for me.
Though I can manage to read some really basic Spanish.
And speak Vietnamese fluently enough, though I couldn't read it to save my life.
It's easier speaking a language than writing it, IMO. Speaking flows easier, and it's easier to catch up on a mistake, not to mention people tend to be more indulgent about spoken mistakes than written ones, in my experience.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:56 am
Kale says...

English is the only language I'm fluent in (and I can read Middle and Old English easily enough) though I can read (in order of best to worst) German, Spanish, and French with the aid of a dictionary. Just don't expect me to read anything aloud.

Modern English is the only language I can write in without making a complete idiot of myself. XD
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

213 Reviews

Reviews: 213
Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:22 am
SporkPunk says...

Well, I'm completely fluent in English. I can read and write in Spanish fairly fluently, and I can somewhat understand Catalan, which is rather like Spanish but not quite. I can read basic French and basic German. Oh! And I can write my name in Kanji. :]
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

REVIEWS FOR YOU | | Uprising (coming soon!)

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:23 am
RacheDrache says...

Becoming fluent in five languages is high up on my list of things to do in my life. So far, I'm only fluent in one, American English.

But, I can read without the help of a dictionary in German (depending on the level of the text, that is, and how much I'm trying to understand), and I'll occasionally write bits of my novels in German. I translate it back into English in the end, though. Mainly, writing it in German instead just makes me think about the writing differently, and can get me through tricky parts and through writer's block. I may sit and groan with English in trying to find the perfect way to say X, but I'll only be able to manage X in German in a couple ways. Which means, progress for the story. And, progress in my pursuit of multilingualism.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:04 pm
Azula says...

I am fluent in american english, but can understand/write in middle english, old english, and british english. I can read, though somewhat painfully, latin, depending on the level, but I don't speak it and can't write it. I can read spanish fairly well, and speak it some, but not as much as I can read it. I also have very limited knowladge of German, French, Italian, and Japanese.
They, are not your MUFFINS!!!!!!!!!! - John Worthing/Ernest Moncrieff (The importance of being Ernest)

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:53 am
retrodisco666 says...

I can speak English fluently. I also have a very good grasp of French and can read,write,speak and listen to it with ease, even with harder tests. I want to learn more though, just need to figure out how!
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:25 pm
StellaThomas says...

I can read pretty proficiently in French and Irish, but I've never written anything except essays and letters in them.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:00 pm
Demeter says...

I write and read in Finnish and English. I can also read in Swedish and French, but not write, except some essays for school and the like. I think I could read some children's literature in German, but I've never tried before.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 am
Lava says...

You could say I'm pretty proficient in English and Tamil (an Indian language, my native one.)
I can read/write in French though not as much as English and Tamil.
I can understand/read Hindi (my speaking skills are meh.)
Malayalam, I can understand, but I don't speak it.
I'm a beginner in Japanese and Telugu. But listening to the Japanese speak it, wow! It takes a lot of practice to follow what they're saying.
I know fragments of Sanskrit (mainly due to slokas and devotional songs)
I'm teaching myself German and Greek off the interwebs,
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:01 pm
carbonCore says...

I write well in English, but I don't speak it very well.

I speak Russian fluently, but I don't write in it very well.

Kibble: ubi Romani, ibi caudeci. :)
_

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina