z

Young Writers Society

Help, if you please, Mistro!

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:58 pm
Apple says...

Alright, so I am currently writing a story. Well actually, I've finished it and am at the editing phase. 167 pages guys and I still have to add more things, I'm hoping that it will be big! But this isn't what I am here for; I need your help YWS and advice.

I've been having trouble with my beginning. To me, it just sounds so cliche and I end up getting so frustrated I ignore it for a couple of days. It's written like that of a diary, except without the dates at the top. It's an urban fantasy, just so you know. My beginning starts off with the main character saying her regrets and what she wishes happened in her life instead of everything going hay wire. From that, it goes to the Principal's office where her and her best friend are getting in trouble for sabotaging a play.

I mean that is so cliche and original. I've searched through book after book seeing how they did theirs and just end up getting more paranoid. What I am asking is that if someone would please help get out from behind this bollard. Just a suggestion or something that can make it a little less stereotypical! PLEASE!!

I'll be your bestfriend!
I spy!

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:46 pm
Kale says...

Sounds like you've got a case of exposition overload in the beginning. Do we really need to hear all the regrets and angst first thing? Probably not, and it's difficult to make angst interesting to read that early on in a story. Does the visit to the principle's office have a direct relation to the main plot? If so, I suggest starting the story there just as the characters sit down. If not, cut out everything until you get to the point where the real action starts.

Also, keep in mind that cliches aren't necessarily bad. It's what you do with them that matters. If you handle them the same way that all the other authors before you have handled them, then it's a problem, but if you can use the cliches in a different combination or with different twists, then there shouldn't be a problem.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:47 pm
Rosendorn says...

This article gives some advice on beginnings. Might help you.

Kyllorac pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to exposition overload. I suffered from that for many a draft. It almost always reads as angsty, and it can really push readers away if not handled well. Use that beginning as notes and cut it down.

You can then do one of two things. If the exposition is important to the plot, then rework it into something interesting and tension-ridden and raises a lot of questions about backstory, so you can answer them. If the exposition is not important, do not include it in.

Another way I keep tabs on backstory is only bring it up when a question is raised about the past. And when I bring it up, only give the minimal amount of information needed. It'll prevent huge dumps of backstory that the reader doesn't want or need to know. To me, that's the heart of the mater: Don't give readers information they don't have reason to know.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.
— Jane Austen