z

Young Writers Society

possible story?

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:51 am
View Likes
chellelynn says...

This always happens to me. I have this desperate urge to write, I crave writing, and yet I cannot think of a single idea and thus, cannot write anything! I was looking through some old things and found this beginning to a story I had thought up. Here is what I had written. I obviously did not get very far. This might not be the right place to post this, but I'm not sure where it would go!

The trees passed by in a blur, my head spinning as I tried to decipher what might have been infront of me. The silver glow from the moon was the only thing lighting up the darkness and, though I dared not crane my neck to see behind me, the sound of falling footsteps had not begun to slow. Out of habit, my hand reached up, my fingers wrapping tightly around the pendant hanging from my neck; a gift that had been sent to me by my birth mother four years ago.

"You can't run forever, Miss Pryce!" His voice sounded closer this time, sending a shock of panic through my body. I couldn`t begin to understand why this man was chasing me. I wasn't sure he could even be considered a man, as he didn't look much older than myself. In a desperate attempt to get him off my track, I sidestepped, jumping into a new path. It all happened in a matter of seconds. My foot caught underneath the root of a tree, sending my body pitching forward, right into the ground. My panic rising, I sat up, twisting and struggling against the tree, trying to pry out my foot. Thump, thump, thump, thump. The quick, steady rythm of his footsteps were getting louder and louder and, just when I thought my fear could not get any worse, the trees began to shake. The wind picked up, a force so strong it ripped the shrubs and small trees right out of the ground. Rain began to pour and lightning bolts lit up the sky. Twigs, dry leaves and dirt were whirling through the air, and it wasn't until a body smacked me back to the ground that I came to my senses.

"Please Ana," he shouted over the sound of the chaos surrounding us, "You have to stop." He was sitting on my legs, his hands pinning my arms down in a way that looked threatening, but his voice was soft and kind, pleading. Even so, his position still made me uneasy and the scream that had been building in my throat finally came out. It's loud, shrill sound pierced through the night, and the wind blew stronger until his hand came down over my mouth. He slid off of me, untangled my foot from the root and sat me up, his hand never moving. His eyes searched my own as he spoke. "Please, this... all of this," and he gestured at the storm around him, "is coming from you. You have to calm down, Ana. Close your eyes, breathe, and calm down." He took his hand away from my mouth and only then did I realize how tense I was, my eyes staring wide, straight ahead and my hands clenched in tight fists at my sides. It took a few minutes, but soon enough the wind died down and the ground stopped quaking.

I scooted away from the man, backing myself up against the tree, my knees drawn into my chest. "Don't you dare," I said, my voice quivering when he tried to approach me. Instead of saying anything, I remained still, never taking my eyes off of him.

"My name is Atticus. I'm here because I know what you can do. We always knew you were somewhere, yet it took us seventeen years to find you. You are a figure of much intrigue for our population, Ana. I have to admit, I thou-”

“Wait, wait, wait!” Immediately my hands came up, asking him to stop. “What are you talking about? Who’s we? And what do you mean, you know what I can do? I’m sorry, but I think you’ve got the wrong person. I might come from a special family but I can’t do anything special.”

Atticus shook his head solemnly. "Your name is Ana Pryce, you were born September 19, 1992 and adopted by Margaret and Timothy Pryce two days later. You're in your eleventh year at Marsborough Academy, spend your Tuesdays taking etiquette classes that you hate and your Thursdays practicing martial arts, unbeknownst to your parents, which you love. You've got an older brother named Daniel and a younger sister named Lydia. Do you need me to say more?"

Everything he was saying was true, but it was impossible. All of this was impossible. I had never seen this man before in my life and yet he knew everything about me. Surely that didn't prove anything. Given that people in today's society were given every possible form of research tool, anybody could dig up that type of basic information about an individual if they so desired. That, or he had been keeping a close eye on me long enough to know my routine and bits of my history.

"I'm leaving right now," I told him as I stood up and wiped the wet dirt off the seat of my pants. Never turn your back on a predator. It was something my kickboxing instructor had been telling me since my first class. One distraction, one moment of hesitation and you're done for. Keeping those words in mind, I continued to back away from him, making my way towards the path I knew would lead me out of these woods.

"No! Ana, wait!" But I had bolted as soon as I saw his body jumping up to reach for me. Wiping the hair out of my eyes, I ran as fast as my legs would allow, ignoring my aching calves. Relief washed over me when I finally passed through the dense trees and found myself on familiar streets. I raced past the group of teenagers smoking by the corner of the convenience store and it wasn't until I had reached the safety of my home that I stopped running and let myself look back. The sidewalk along the front of my house was empty, as I had thought it would be. I hadn't heard any footsteps chasing after me on my way here. Perhaps he had realized that I really was the wrong girl. Or maybe he was watching from a far off distance. The thought made me shiver, and I quickly shut and locked the door behind me.

I had also wrote that in third person, just to see which I liked better. I still don't know which I prefer, first or third. What do you think about this little bit I've shared with you? Advice, is it something you would read? What do you, personally, imagine this would be about. As for me, I haven't a clue! I'm completely stuck on where this should go/if I should bother! I'm pretty much giving up on my writing at the moment!
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirious of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:46 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I wouldn't worry so much about what we think of an idea or what direction we think a story will go in (Chances are, readers want to be surprised. I won't really read a book if I can figure out the ending early on). Worry about your own ideas and how you want to see them play out. Or, if you feel like letting your characters run wild, see how they want it to turn out.

As for writer's block, poke at the story when it comes into your head but otherwise try to forget it. Let the idea come to you and unfold while you do other stuff. Put together a rough outline of the ideas you have. Read nonfiction to get ideas as to what you can do with it. Read fiction to see what you like and don't. Do something besides reading and writing for a change.

And never underestimate the power of just sitting down and writing. Doesn't mater if the idea is stupid, or if the sentences don't sound right. You can edit later. Just get the ideas on the page so you have something to work with.

Hope this helps.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Be steadfast as a tower that doth not bend its stately summit to the tempest’s shock.
— Dante Alighieri