z

Young Writers Society

Writers Block

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:51 pm
View Likes
Forestqueen808 says...

I have amazing novel ideas, and I write each and every one done. But problem is, when I start it, I can’t finish it. Well, that’s a lie. I can finish it, I just can’t finish the second draft. I have four novels I have been working on, and I’ll be in the mood to write one, but then get Writers Block. I now realize that I have Writers Block for each and every one of my novels. I really don’t know what to do. I am in a writing mood, and I love my novels, but I’m just stuck. I really don’t want to give up on my babies, but I don’t know what else to do! What do you think? How can I get rid of Writers Block?
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:41 pm
View Likes
Ranger Hawk says...

I know exactly how you feel--I have "writer's ADD" and can't finish any of my novels because I get stuck. The best thing I've found is to start at the beginning of your story and start reading; it'll get you reacquainted with the characters and the plot, and once you reach the part that you stopped at, just start writing whatever is supposed to come next--no matter how crappy it may be. That's what editing's for, and usually it's a lot easier to fix up something already written than to actually pen it down in the first place.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:55 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Look at one novel. Look at the situation before (Often I can only read about one chapter back, sometimes I only read a scene back. If I read too much I get an insane urge to edit) and see if your current direction fits. If it doesn't, scrap up to the start of that direction (it could just be a few lines of dialogue) and rework it.

If the direction still fits, reread the scene once or twice to get yourself reacquainted. Then sit down, put fingers to keys, and do not leave the window until at least one paragraph has been written. Preferably quite a few paragraphs.

Usually a couple slowly churned out paragraphs is enough to get me back on track and going again. I know where I'm going, so all I need to do is figure out what it takes to get there. All it takes is the discipline to keep going.

Hope this helps.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:16 am
View Likes
Shearwater says...

Oh duckies, I've been down that path before and it isn't pretty.
Usually, I find myself either 'daydreaming' or reenacting scenes in my head, almost like I'm the narrator and I just play the last scenes over in my head. As if was a movie, at least it's easier than writing it down, you can always just rewind and try it again. XD
Or you can always write an outline, ideas, jot things down as you see them. Watch some inspirational movies or read some more of your favorite book to get some ideas on what's next and what fits in the story.
Hopefully you finish them! Don't give up!

~Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:10 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Write because you love it!

If you find a situation you can't get around, write anything you want, whether it's out of style, context, genre, anything. Take your characters out of your novel and put them in a different one, see how they do. Of course you don't have to stick with these changes, but every time you do this you're trying out new things, rearranging your thoughts, and getting to know your characters better. Compared to sitting there getting frustrated about writers block, this is much more productive.

And it's fun too :D

You can also try switching your plot around and see what happens when you try to run it backwards. Stick your main character in a magical void and see what the other characters do when he/she isn't around, I find that's a great one, since with no main character to follow the others tend to work out the plot holes for themselves.
We were born to be amazing.

The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
— Samuel Johnson