z

Young Writers Society

Looking for some advice on Comics

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:40 pm
MrImagination says...

I'm thinking of starting my own comic book. Are there any others here who have their own comic book? What are some choices to get it distributed? Would anyone be interested in maybe swapping ads -I put an ad for your comic in my book and you do the same for me in yours.

I'm also interested in maybe getting guest writers for some of my issues once I get this thing going.

Thanks for your help.

Mr. Imagination

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:33 am
Snoink says...

*moved to Writer's Corner*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:36 am
Snoink says...

Okay, now that official stuff is done! I don't think we have a lot of comic book artists here. Sad, but true! In any case, it seems from the little I've read that your best best is indie publishing for comic books! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:39 am
smaur says...

Hey,

If you've never made a comic on your own, as you've sort of implied here, I would suggest practicing a lot before you seek publication. Start a webcomic, maybe. Practice your ability to tell a story visually and compellingly. You may also have the luck/talent to garner a fanbase (however small) and even some artists/writers with which to collaborate or bounce ideas off of.

There's a dearth of webcomic artists who have moved onto indie or self-publishing.

Also, read and research comic creators, especially those with independent ties. Reading Scott McCloud books is probably a good place to start; there's a documentary on the Bone creator, Jeff Smith, called "The Cartoonist" that will make interesting viewing if nothing else; there's a book called "Writers on Comic Scriptwriting" which interviews a number of high-profile mainstream comic writers that is a good exploration into the craft of comics.

Once you've figured out what type of story you want to create, it may be a good idea to research your market, figure out which comic publisher best suits your story, and put together a pitch. From the fairly little that I know about indie comic publishing, learning to put together a pitch is fairly vital since most comics are bought that way.

Again, if this is in fact your first comics venture, I would encourage you to dabble a LOT before you try and aim for publishing. Few writers can bang their first story off and submit it (successfully) for publishing, and the same applies for pretty much every other entertainment-related field.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:35 pm
Blackrose says...

O.k,
I tried to write a comic book once about two years ago, but I gave up cause I found out books are more my thing.
If you haven't found a comic book publisher yet I'd find one now before you start because they can tell you more than this website.
Like Snoink said, there are probably not many people on the website who write comics but there are most likely other websites out there. They will help you more then me.
Well, it isn't much, but I hope this helped (it probably didn't but I tried).
Hope your comic goes well and if you do get it published send me a PM here cause I'd love to read it.
X BlackRose X

We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria