z

Young Writers Society

Craziest things you've done in the name of research

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:16 pm
Merlin34 says...

Sometimes, the best way to research something is to do it yourself. Sometimes, characters in your story do some craaazy things. Sometimes, those two areas overlap.

Most of the crazy things I've done involve fire, Namely spraying an unlit campfire with flammable bug spray and then lighting it with a spark (works wonders) and spraying bug spray into a lighter (makes an awesome fireball).
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:22 am
Masquerade says...

Hmmmm... I closed myself in a long cardboard box and had my sibling shake it and rock it around to simulate being put in a coffin and buried alive. Wasn't too extreme though. Most of the things in my novel would be faaar to dangerous to actually try.
"Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing."
-Meg Chittenden

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:15 pm
tori1234 says...

Umm.....I snuck into a club once so I could get the descriptions right.
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:40 pm
View Likes
Crimsona says...

I was at this school camping trip thing. And I thought of this awesome plot for a short story I was going to write, which included someone getting suffocated in a sleeping bag cover.

So. I got someone to put a sleeping back cover over my head and get someone else to tighten all the straps, then try and get myself out of it. (which I have proven near to impossible. Annoyingly, the guy that tightened the straps legged it once he had finished)

Please no one else try this, it was a mere 15 seconds, then I couldn't breath and had to scream for help. I can't tell you how stupid I looked, a 12 year old girl screaming for help with her head stuck in a sleeping bag cover with all the straps tightened, tripping over the guy lines of all the tents... Never.Again.Ever.
Avatar (c) to Thalia - A great friend of mine

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:42 pm
Tenyo says...

Crimson - that sounds hilarious from a third person perspective XD

What's the craziest thing I've ever done in the name of research? I can't say I've ever stuffed myself into a cardboard box or suffocated myself in a sleeping bag. I think mostly I just let my imagination do everything for me.

I guess it must seem pretty crazy to my neighbours when it's raining cats and dogs and I'm sitting under the table in the garden with my notebook. Most of my best ideas come from under that table. Or when I disappear into the bathroom with a towel, pad of paper and six pens, and spend longer running the water than I do bathing because I like writing with the sound of the tap running.

I don't know if that counts.
We were born to be amazing.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
— Winston Churchill