z

Young Writers Society

Publishing

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:15 pm
brassnbridle says...

I have a project that I'm working towards publishing and I really want to start looking into it. Does anybody have advice or suggestions as to where I could get it published? All help is appreciated.
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.~Toni Morrison

It is written in m life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; I can do no other~ Tolkien

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:40 pm
Shepherd says...

It depends on what it is =)

Novel? Short story? Poem? Science fiction? Fantasy? Non-fiction?
Paramedic
Writer
Crazy
Nije vas zahvatila druga kušnja osim ljudske. Ta vjeran je Bog: neæe pustiti da budete kušani preko svojih sila, nego æe s kušnjom dati i ishod da možete izdržati.

367 Reviews

Reviews: 367
Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:49 pm
Mizzle says...

As Shepherd say, it really does depend on what the book is - ex: sci-fi, romance, general fiction, humor...

In general, though, I usually just use good ol' Google and search "sci-fi publishing companies" or something like that. Not the greatest way to find a publisher, but it's not the worst, either. I've found some pretty good publishing companies that way. After that, it's time to send them a letter, and each publisher will have criteria for what they want included. Some want first chapters, prologues, or the first half of the book. It really depends.

I'll be happy to help you more, but we do really need the genre of the book!

Hope this helped. =)
"Chase your dreams, and remember me, speak bravery,
Because after all, those wings will take you up so high."
-- Owl City, "To the Sky"
✯ ✯ ✯

89 Reviews

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:30 am
brassnbridle says...

Oops... sorry! Totally forgot that minor detail, lol. It's a high fantasy-type novel aimed at younger young adults, if that helps.
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.~Toni Morrison

It is written in m life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; I can do no other~ Tolkien

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:44 am
Rosendorn says...

If you're looking to publish, it's probably worth your while to pick up The Writer's Market's latest version (I'm unsure if it's the 2009 or 2010 version right now). It's got publishers organized by type and genre. All reputable.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:48 am
Sins says...

A lot of it depends on where you live, as well.

I've heard that there are a lot of American publishers that don't publish anything written by people that are rather young. If I were you, I'd take Rosie's advice. You should try checking out The Writer's Market. :)
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:33 pm
Kale says...

There's also Duotrope's Digest which lists reputable online publishers in addition to various other tidbits of info like average response time and simultaneous submission policies.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:45 pm
Lauren2010 says...

You could also check out the Publication or Perish usergroup here on YWS. It's not very active, but there is a bunch of really good information there!

Good luck!
Got YWS?

89 Reviews

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:32 pm
View Likes
brassnbridle says...

Thanks!! :D

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
— James R. Cook