z

Young Writers Society

Music while you write?

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:10 pm
TheTruthLiesWithin says...

Hmm, I notice almost everyone here writes in silence. I always have my music on when I write (and when I don't, actually :)) Now I realize it's very distracting for most people.
.- <3 -.

Reviews: 3
Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:01 pm
View Likes
AuroraOrodel says...

I almost always use music. I wrote a play last semester, and couldn't even get my head into it until I'd found the playlist! Once I have an idea, finding music is one of the first things I do. I have songs for specific characters, for the world, and ones that are just inspirational. Have any of you listened to Zoe Keating? Her stuff is amazing and really helpful for writing. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlhkwHSZMyg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIZTcfrXVMs
"You cannot pronounce as knowledge anything you cannot demonstrate."
~Margaret Atwood

"The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."
~Fahrenheit 451

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:24 pm
guitargirl says...

Music is probably the only reason why I can actually write. It gives me so much inspiration in my writing, like the lyrics of a song could create a whole story for me. Like some said, my music must match what I'm writing, but sometimes, I can actually listen to some bands over and over again like:

-Paramore
-All Time Low
-Every Avenue
-A Day to Remember
-A Rocket to the Moon
-Flyleaf
-Sum 41

There's way to many more to name, but they inspire me the most.

--Lise
"Stay awake,
Get a grip and get out you're safe,
From the weight of the world,
Just take a second to set things straight,
I'll be fine, even though I'm not always right,
I can count on the sun to shine,
Dedication takes a lifetime, but dreams only last for a night."
-All Time Low

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:32 pm
ultraviolet says...

I write to music sometimes. Like, if 'm basing a story off of a song, or if the song portrays the mood I'm going for. But it has to be the right song, played over and over and over, otherwise I can't get anything out. Simple as that.
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:02 pm
Roal says...

Hah, I always listen to music when I write, it makes me think better, if I don't feel like listening to music, I can always hear the sound of "waterfalls" from my turtle's tank xD so either way I hear sound.
14 years have passed
And yet I'm unabled
To find a friend
For my existence is lower
Than a piece of grass.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:59 am
DietPlaid says...

I usually listen to music while drawing and writing. I remember that I listened to the "Let It Be" album by The Replacements while writing a story. Over and over again. It was perfect for the atmosphere I was creating. The story I'm writing now is...it needs music, but I'm not sure what. Currently I'm using my chill out/laundry time playlist, so we'll see what happens.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:04 pm
Krupp says...

I listen to music almost every single moment of the day. Whether it's in my head or my nano makes no difference. I study to it. I write school papers to it. I think it's almost easier to write a narrative or poem to it than it is to write a school paper on James Joyce listening to music.....at least, that's what it seems to be to me.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:54 pm
Rakun says...

Actually, Trip Hop music (electronic + hip hop) makes me feel in my zone when writing poetry. 8)
When writing young adult fiction, I select Alternative music, and some bit of Hard rock/punk music if my characters are male or tomboyish girls
Sincerely, music turn on my artistic senses.
:D
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:10 pm
Tigersprite says...

I like to listen to a little Muse or Coldplay, maybe something faster like Paramore if it's an action scene.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:37 pm
RacheDrache says...

If I'm writing on my computer, I've got music playing. When I'm into the story, though, I'm not actually listening to the music. It's more or less just there to mellow out whatever other noises might come through. Which is why most of the music I listen to while writing is music that I know incredibly well. It's music I've had for years, or music that I've simply just played over and over again. This applies to both instrumental stuff and stuff with lyrics for me. Bach Cello Suites still enrapture me too much, but most of my violin collections are fair game for writing. I put on Muse and write away for hours, but add fun. into the mix and all I'll want to do is sing along.

If I'm writing by hand, no music. Ever. Just me, my pen, and my notebook.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:57 pm
spike71294 says...

I listen to lady Gaga just before I write or in the breaks I take in between. Mostly it's her 'fame monster' album as it's more artistic according to me but I also love her 'the fame' album. In short I LOVE lady Gaga!

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:09 pm
carbonCore says...

I listen to soft piano music while I write. It's the least intrusive.
_

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:09 am
Idraax says...

I never pay attention to the lyrics when I write. It's usually the tone of the song(and how I'm feeling at that time) that flows into my writing. But, I listen to mostly fast paced songs, some classical and a lot of whatever my parents have on Pandora or one of the many Indian radio channels they found.
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:05 am
psudiname says...

I'm listening to sinatra right now! I love music while I work, especially if it matches the story. in fact, most of the time, I get inspired by song lyrics and write stuff about the song. I don't know if it's distracting to some people, but I love how it makes me feel, and how it helps me to be more creative.
if anyone wants a review, post on my profile and I'll get to it in a couple days.

532 Reviews

Reviews: 532
Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:40 pm
ArcticMonkey says...

I listen to just about anything, whichever song I'm obssesed with that day/week/month really. I do enjoy Exlosions in the Sky, just instrumental.
Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers, in her hair.

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk