z

Young Writers Society

Music while you write?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:25 am
TheseStoneWalls says...

Hey! Earlier today, I noticed I was struggling a lot with trying to write and edit the story I've been working on, and so I put on some music just to clear my head, and then everything just "clicked". Does anyone else have that happen? Does music inspire you? What music do you listen to while you write? What about when you edit? I think I've discovered that I need different music depending on the scene I'm working on and the character I'm using to tell the story. :) What do you all think?

-Stone
And these stone walls will come crashing down.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:01 pm
Kale says...

I write best in silence. I do enjoy listening to music when I'm revising, though. I'll usually put a song that matches the mood of the scene on loop until I finish revising that scene... until I get sick of hearing the song, that is. XD
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:09 pm
Leilani says...

I write in my room where it's quiet and no music or talking distracts me from my thinking and creative space hehe
Happiness is a perfume you can not pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself <3

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:33 pm
Rosendorn says...

Depends. Chances are it's only instrumental if I have music at all. Lyrics tend to affect my dialogue or descriptions.

But, for the most part, I write in silence. I can never find music that fits the mood.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:53 am
Prosithion says...

It depends, but most of the time, I have some Tom Petty or Yes on. Yes tends to do longer (20+ minutes) songs, and it helps get the creative juices flowing.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

213 Reviews

Reviews: 213
Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:24 am
SporkPunk says...

My music tends to change depending on the scene I'm writing and the nature of the piece. For my novel, which is sci-fi, I listen to a crap ton of Pendulum, and their songs are generally 3-6+ minutes. For editing, it varies. Today I was listening to Depeche Mode and The Postal Service.

Music really helps get me writing, especially if the scene I'm writing is tough.
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

REVIEWS FOR YOU | | Uprising (coming soon!)

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:58 am
katchaerin says...

I usually write in silence. If I listen to some music (especially with lyrics), I tend to sing along. XD
HAHA.
Same goes with studying. =]
REVIEW!!!
'cause I review back. XD XD XD

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:09 pm
Lollipopper says...

I guess it depends on what I'm writing...If I'm writing something really epic, then I'm gonna listen to trailer music! If I'm writing something sad then of course I listen to something depressing.
Yeah, that's Hedwig staring at you determinedly.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:20 pm
imaginemymind says...

I actually lovvee to listen to music when I'm writing, whether its a novel or I'm doing homework
It really gets my juices flowing. I listen to rock , mostly alternative some screamo bands.
Such as :
Bullet for my valentine
Paramore
Kids in glass houses
This romantic Tragedy .. etc.
These are the bands that really let me cleanse my mind and help me write
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on" ~Robert Frost

My blog where I talk everything book related : http://booksarewonderfulmagic.blogspot.com/

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:11 pm
KailaMarie says...

I almost ALWAYS write with music. The only time I don't is if I put something on, and it ended, and I was so distracted that I forget to put something else on. Music is what inspires me the most. Especially if there are some good lyrics in there, like there's a Killers' song that has the line "Is this love, or is it just easy?" and it inspired a whole scene for me. I never use the actual lyrics (because that's plagerism, I think) but I need music to at least get started.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

Reviews: 0
Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:22 am
Molla says...

I'm like that sometimes; when I'm thinking of a character or plot that I want to develop and move along, I will listen to some music and sometimes it helps me. But most of the time, I can't sit down and WRITE while I'm listening to music. I need silence so my inner novelist can flourish without too much influence ^.^

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:16 am
Lollipopper says...

Yeah, music can sometimes inspire me to write, too. But usually I can't listen to music with lyrics because I'll start TYPING the lyrics in my story! That does NOT work out for me!

But plain instrumental? That's fine for me.
Yeah, that's Hedwig staring at you determinedly.

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:48 pm
Forestqueen808 says...

I ALWAYS write with music. But it has to relate to the story. I can't listen to an upbeat hip hop song while writing a scene where someone dies or something....it has to MATCH.
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:51 pm
View Likes
FashionistState says...

I hardly ever can concentrate when I write with music that doesn't fit.
But when I make a specific playlist, it works. Old-school Industrial is good because it can be in the background; it doesn't really get in the way.
... Unless it's a farm.

Reviews: 0
Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:10 am
miroirnoir95 says...

I always listen to music, but only with distorted, difficult to understand lyrics. Cocteau Twins are my band of choice for this very reason.
Sometimes I wonder if the world's so small
That we can never get away from the sprawl

Your presence can give happiness. I hope you remember that.
— Jin, BTS