z

Young Writers Society

Music while you write?

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:07 pm
Rob says...

Absolutely.
Usually music with strong lyrics and soft as genre.
"The day we lose our need for dreams is the day the human race forfeits its soul." -John Chiam
"Morpheus: Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life." -Matrix

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:36 pm
paperbackheart says...

Well it depends whether I am at school or not (no ipods rule). I love listening to music when I am writing, but it doesn't exactly inspire me. If I don't, my mind goes straight to what I need to do next, or to another story, or to how many ways I can kill my sister for messing me up. The music has to go to the scene though. I love all types of music, so I am not that picky. But if I write a murder scene, I need my old school rap.

When I edit, I need complete silence or else I get angrier. Thats a big problem.

Heehee MUSIC IS AWESOME!!!!
There are four basic food groups: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, and chocolate truffles. -Anonymous.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:01 pm
TheCodex says...

I almost always listen to music while I write. I usually find something to set the mood, but yes, music is a HUGE muse of mine :D
I'm a high functioning sociopath, do your research!
-
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."
- Jack London.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:26 pm
TheAlphaBunny says...

It's not a must for when I write, but I prefer listing to music to the sound of clicking keys if I'm writing on the computer. I'll listen to all kinds of things while I write, but I love electronica or things with heavy beats to keep me motivated. Music to go with certain scenes is another thing entirely, and while a song may remind me of a part of my story, I rarely listen to that song while writing said part. I cannot, though, listen to classical music while I write. I pay way too much attention to the music than to what I'm writing. I play cello; those things distract me. ;)
"I can have oodles of charm when I want to." --Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Reviews: 1
Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:27 pm
thepasserby says...

Usually I have music on when I write, but I only notice it when I'm not paying attention to my actual story. I think it's just like a comfort blanket to me. That being said, I absolutely cannot listen to anything with a quick beat or catchy lyrics if I'm trying to concentrate. I always end up spinning around in my desk seat and singing. Not good for productivity.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:01 am
SirenCymbaline says...

Definitely. I avoid music with words, though because I get mixed up with words I'm hearing and words I'm writing.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:54 pm
emmaline49 says...

I always listen to music when I write. It's very inspiring and it really gets your creativity flowing. :D
In the midst of winter/I found there lay within me/an eternal summer

Reviews: 3
Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:35 pm
EternityRain says...

Music while I write?; :D Most definatly. The music varies with the mood of the scene and the carisma or atmosphere. I can go from Back Veil Brides "Knives and pens"; to Garth Brooks' 'Standing outside the fire'. I guess it usually depends on which story, character veiw, and mood I'm working with. When I first started writing I was writing in silence, but as I began to calm and the silence had its full impact I started writing to music. The first story I wrote (to silence) was awful, the second story I wrote (to music) was much better. People better understood the moods and "the characters seemed to leap off the pages and out in front of you!" as one of my friends put it.

:idea: - Sometimes, depending on the structure of the story and the moods of characters I have found it helpful to try and picture myself as them, and then, increase their reaction by about twice mine. Especially if your character has supernatural powers or is extremely emotional. It's also helpful if you take a moment and list a few different types of bands and their songs so that when you get stuck, if you put on one of the songs it might help. A friend of mine suggested once that if you have a bad case of writers block that you should try listening to a band who plays the oppisite of your usual type of music.

Brought to you by the forever insane,
Eternity Destiny Rain :twisted:

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:59 am
pandacary says...

I usually listen to music before I write. It helps me brainstorm. I'll listen to either a song or a track and just think about my characters in that situation. It works, and I've gotten a lot of inspiration because of my music. I suppose listening to music while I write could help too, but I've never tried it.
Nerdfighters UNITE! DFTBA!

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:07 am
ShadowKnight155 says...

I can't really listen to music when I write because at this point, I know all the lyrics to any song I listen to(and after about five times of listening to a new song I will know most of them), and I either have to lip-sync, or I have an instinct to sing.
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good... then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor - such is my idea of happiness.
— Leo Tolstoy