z

Young Writers Society

Help wanted please

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:56 am
Veiyloxx says...

I'm trying to write a novel which is going to be series of books of I think about 5 or 6.
Now I have the entire story in my head but i cant seem to place it on paper, computer or even recording my voice.
Everytime I go back over it I think to myself it can be better and I throw it away.
I just want to know what i can do or if someone can help me out.

This is an action fantasy with all the elements a great book needs.
And the story needs to be told
I have an Idea and Ideas are bullet proof

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:10 am
Rosendorn says...

If you're worried about the story sounding perfect... forget that it will be perfect. The first draft of something is always horrible and needs to be rewritten. Always. You can sometimes salvage parts of the story, but usually it needs to be put on paper once, then overhauled.

Just write the story. Forget about it sounding horrible— you can edit later to be better. Don't stop writing until you've finished a full draft. If you think of a change to make, start a new document and put the change in there, then write as if the change has been made.

Hope this helps.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:42 am
Veiyloxx says...

Thanks Rosey even though i know this its nice to be reminded that nothing is never perfect the first time and that's probably why i keep tossing it away when its not.

Any help from anyone will have a special thanks in my book :)
I have an Idea and Ideas are bullet proof

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:27 pm
Lauren2010 says...

I had the same problem when I started writing! I kept going back and rewriting and rewriting and rewriting and rewriting. Needless to say, the story was going nowhere fast.

What really got me past that was participating in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) last November. When you have to write 50,000 words in 30 days, you tend to forget about quality in a mad attempt to get it all written. Somehow, I managed to do it and I even finished a few days early. Of course, the writing pretty much stunk but I can go back and edit to my hearts desire.

Now, I've put that aside mostly because I wanted to get back to the novel I was working on before that (the one with all the rewriting). I've been able to put aside the need for it to be perfect as I write because I know that once I get the first draft done I can go back and make all the changes I want.

I'm not saying you have to participate in the madness that is NaNoWriMo to be able to get past that inability to get things written! Maybe it would help to set a goal for each day? Say, write 1,000 words a day. Or write a chapter a day. Or write a page a day. Whatever works for you.

Just forget about quality and write. After it's written, then go back and make it sound pretty. :) Good luck!
Got YWS?

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:28 pm
jamesMarcus says...

hey!
wow you have bright ideas and i have a strange idea you'r name will be on some series in about 5 years but im no fortune teller though i can suggest you should not jumble it up in you'r brain or the next thing you know you fell of a horse and lost your memorey! hahah im delusional i cant give you ideas on a review but you can PM me and i will reply with material

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:29 am
jDawn says...

I've had the same problem! You're not the only one!

1. Relax and don't rush it. I would write out the idea in your head briefly on a piece of paper.
2. Clear your mind and think it over.
3. Ask yourself, Who is the main character? What does this character look like? What is your character's history? How does this character talk and act? Where does your book take place?
4. Write character outlines and describe everything about them, even stuff you won't use in your story.
5. Let the ideas come to you, don't force them. They'll come when you least expect it : )
6. Start writing when it comes to you and when you are comfortable with the idea of the story.
7. If you need a break, that's okay. Writing takes time and dedication!

If you have any questions feel free to run a message by me any time! Any I'll be glad to help any further if you need it!
:D
Good Luck And Happy Writing!
- Jessica
"They can put me in prison but they can't stop my face from breakin' out."

" A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."

-Adam Young, My Hero <3

*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble