z

Young Writers Society

Is it jumping the gun? Or not procrastinating?

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:36 am
EmmVeePi says...

How do we know when to make an attempt at being published? I have some stuff I want to try to get published. On one hand I feel like I am rushing it, like I should take more time to work on my writing. On the other hand, I have been saying the same thing for five years, I feel like if I don't make an attempt now it will be another five years and nothing, then another five...

Any thoughts?

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:27 am
Octave says...

EmmVeePi wrote:How do we know when to make an attempt at being published? I have some stuff I want to try to get published. On one hand I feel like I am rushing it, like I should take more time to work on my writing. On the other hand, I have been saying the same thing for five years, I feel like if I don't make an attempt now it will be another five years and nothing, then another five...

Any thoughts?

Depends on when you decide to query. I say that if you have a finished novel, and it's beta read and you can't really find much else wrong with it, it's good to query. If you just finished the first draft and immediately query, however...>>" That's jumping the gun.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:42 pm
Rosendorn says...

I say if the work has been beta read and edited to the best of your abilities, there's no point of waiting. Sure, you'll get better eventually (and maybe cringe when you see old writing ;) ), but as you said it can be a never-ending cycle of putting off submitting to publishing in order to get better.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway