z

Young Writers Society

What are teens into these days?

Reviews: 2
Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:59 am
BugBoyAndy says...

I need to come up with some new story ideas. I have plenty, but I just don't know what teens really read anymore. I know vampires are a favorite. So, what's popular for books nowadays?
Children's fiction writer,
Andrew C. Markey
www.bugboyandy.com

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:18 am
Rosendorn says...

Forget about writing what's popular. Focus on writing well, with a good storyline, and good characters. Popular works come and go, often, but a captivating story does not.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 2
Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:31 am
BugBoyAndy says...

Wise response. I suppose you have a good point.
Children's fiction writer,
Andrew C. Markey
www.bugboyandy.com

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 am
Kibble says...

Write whatever novel idea you like most -- teens are getting sick of people making imitations of whatever's "in" now; readers will enjoy something original that they can sense the author liked.
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

Reviews: 0
Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:44 am
Eritela says...

Thoughts from a teenage book-lover:

Fantasy is always a good one, in my opinion. I myself never get tired of fantasy, if it's well written and at least somewhat original. Lord of the Rings to the Chronicles of Narnia to Eragon: I love fantasy. Though I will admit Eragon's sequels have kinda... dropped... in, well, I wouldn't say quality, but definitely how interesting it is. There were some parts where I thought "Why would you even put that in there? That has nothing to do with anything else in the story!" or even "Okay, now you're just making this ridiculous, talk about a character that has everything. What are you gonna do next, make him the unknown heir to some kingdom in a distant land?"

Yeah... sorry for ranting. Basically if it's a full, complex plot - but most certainly not overdone - and it has an interesting story line, I'll read it, and so will just about any other teen who reads. I prefer stories written for both boys and girls (though I did enjoy the Uglies series and the Beka Cooper set), and writing for both boys and girls gives you more readers. Vampires are more of a girl thing, especially with Twilight and that stuff going on. Oh, and don't over-perfect your main character(s). That gets old fast, like with Eragon. Ugh. I still enjoy Eragon, but I have been using that as a "what NOT to do" list for my own fantasy writing.

Sorry for the long post. :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:20 am
Chasmira1060 says...

I too love fantasy--thus I am a fantasy author. I agree with what others have said in this thread--be yourself, be unique. I have never tried to write just to please what's "in". You have to write something YOU write, or no one else will, and even if they do, it won't be satisfying to yourself. I will say the challenge of writing something unique is getting noticed. I just published "Bloodmaiden" with a small publisher, but it's hard getting your name out there, especially when you try to be different. But I would rather write what I like and take a while to get noticed then just write for the sake of pleasing others but be dissatisfied.
Even if you DO go with a more popular theme like vampires though, you can still make it unique. I myself like to create my own worlds and peoples, but in "Golden Healer, Dark Enchantress", I also create my own spin on vampires. If you like fantasy, it's a great and imaginative genre to start in, because you can almost create whatever you want.
If you'd like to check out some of my books too, visit my site here:
http://ChristineESchulze.webs.com
Hope this helps!
Bloodmaiden; Golden Healer, Dark Enchantress; Elantra: Song of Tears, Lady of the Dawn.
Visit the author, Christine E. Schulze, of these and other unique, exciting fantasy titles at
http://christineeschulze.webs.com/

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:34 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Don't worry about what teenagers want. Teenagers don't know what they want.

My only advice would be to write something that you would want to read. You'll have more fun writing it and it'll be better because you would have an invested interest in it.

In the end it doesn't matter what teenagers will read. Teenagers will read pretty much anything. Focus on writing something that people will enjoy by writing something that you would enjoy. If you can please one person (yourself) you'll please a lot more.
Got YWS?

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:24 pm
jamesMarcus says...

hello i'm James!
so i wanted to write a review on this topic but i guess their isn't much to judge about so you want to know what teens read well we read normal stuff, well we YWS'ers do like articles and readers digest and try our best to turn ourselves into intellectuals at an early age. teenage girls i have no IDEA! so from a guy's point of view the same things you read 4 years ago just more advanced.

What about the chicken, Jack?
— David Letterman